Monday, June 9, 2014

A Little Rant on Cover Changes

Okay. Last year I read a book called Teardrop by Lauren Kate. It was not the best book ever, but I have decided to continue on with the series. I'm going to be honest, and say that the cover was 90% of the reason I picked up the book.
Yes, Yes, I know what you're thinking, "It's the same as most YA covers. Just a girl in a dress." I cannot deny that it is a girl in a dress, but notice that the dress is made of water, and that the background of the cover is beautiful. Even the title looks gorgeous. This book is about Atlantis, so it would make sense that the dress is made of water. The arches in the background could be a representation of Atlantis; I honestly don't know. I do like the overall color scheme, and look of the cover.
Not that long ago on Goodreads they had a cover up for the second book, and I was stoked. 
It looks very pretty, and it matches the fist book. Again there is the water dress, and the aesthetically pleasing background. Again, I love the color scheme. I bet if this cover was sticking around, it would look fantastic on by bookshelf. But alas, That is not the case. The publisher decided it was time for a cover change. *sigh* 
Are you ready to see the change. Warning- the following covers are neither pretty nor unique- You have been warned.


Now tell me, could you guess what the series is about by looking at the covers? No! 
If you wanted to, you could make the argument that these are new covers, but you would be plain wrong. Another book by the SAME publisher has a very similar style cover to the redone ones shown above. 

Wow, much creative. Such art. 
JUST KIDDING!!

From the first round of cover, you could guess that the series has something to do with water, and after some prompting, Atlantis would probably be guessed. But with the new covers, you would just guess it is some very angsty contemporary. 

Now I ask you this: Why were the covers changed? Which set of covers do you prefer? 
I cannot answer the fist question, but (as you may have guessed) I much prefer the first set of covers.

I am not sure if I am going to pick up the second book when it comes out because I am enraged at the publisher. Only time can tell if I will buy the book.

/rant

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment