Friday, June 6, 2014

Review of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

First off, I would like to thank Andye over at Reading Teen for letting me read and review this book.


We Were Liars
Standalone
By E. Lockhart
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7+
Length: 225 Pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press

I am not going to give much of a summary on this books, and I feel that it is better that you go in not knowing much about the story. We Were Liars is about a girl, Cady, from an affluent family who goes to the family’s private island every summer. She has a group of friends who she always gets to see on the island. One summer something happened, and Cady loses some of her memory.
That is about all you need to know going into this story.


What did I think of the book?
I enjoyed it even though it was very weird. From the first page, you got a very ominous tone from the way E. Lockhart described things. That tone was there throughout the whole story.

 Things I liked:
  • I liked the characterization of the Sinclair family. You really got to know who the characters were, and their ulterior motives for all of their actions no matter how questionable they were.
  • The writing was beautiful. The words flowed so perfectly that they seemed like poetry.
  • The plot was good.  It was a very fast paced book, and it was easily devoured in one sitting. 
  • The story never dragged on.  It started, and finished in a very good amount of time. Since it was only 225 pages, the author did a very god job of saying what she needed to say without being boring.



Things I didn’t like:
  •  The four friends were not people who I could really sympathize with. They were all spoiled rich kids who were complaining about everything that they had.
  • There were times where it was hard to tell when things were going on.  One chapter it would be summer seventeen, then the next five chapters were summer fifteen.  There was no warning or way of knowing which summer Cady was talking about.
  • I didn't like any of the characters. I may have understood them, but I thought they were all shallow and mean. Even to each other, they were awful. All the adults were fighting about who gets what when their dad dies, the kids were all spoiled to the point that they feel entitled to do everything and anything that they want. 

The ending:
No, I am not going to spoil what happened, but I will tell you my specific thoughts on it.
I was not fully satisfied with the ending. We got to understand what happened, but we don’t know the emotional toll on Cady. I understand that the book had to end, but I needed to know what Cady did once she found everything out.


Overall:

I enjoyed reading this book. It was a fast-paced, fun read. It did get very emotional towards the end, and you may cry (I didn’t.) If you are looking for a well written, darker summer read, this might be the book for you. But if you want a fun, fluffy, giggly read, this is not what you are looking for.

Rating:





XOXO,
Belle


Content:

Cursing: Although it is irregular, when the characters do curse they use very strong language.
Violence: Lots. This book has a very wide array of violence.
Sexual things: Kissing, some talk of sex.
Miscellaneous: Addiction, underage drinking, family problems, and racism


1 comment:

  1. Great review, Belle. Though I will say a few things:

    1. I think it's totally normal that you didn't identify with the Sinclair family... I don't think you were supposed to. Actually, anyone who totally identified with them scares me. We cannot be friends. ;)

    2. I think, in a way, we did see the emotional toll the events took on Cady. After all, she mentally blocked what happened... that's a pretty powerful message.

    Glad you liked this one overall! And thank you for entering my Summer Reading Challege - I'm choosing a winner soon and the new Autumn Challenge went up today!

    ReplyDelete