Monday, June 30, 2014

June 2014 Wrap-Up

This month I did a pretty bad job of reading, but whatever. I read a total of five books. For the most part I really liked what I read. Let us begin!!

First, I read Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo.
2/5 Stars
This is the second book in The Grisha Trilogy. The trilogy is about a country that is split in half by the "Shadow Ford" which is a big cut on the country that is completely pitch black, and hosts flesh-eating monsters. The main character, Alina, is an orphan and a map maker. When she has to cross the Fold, her ship is attacked by the monsters, and she summons the sun. Because she is the sun summoner, she is about to destroy the fold. dun Dun DUUUUUNNNNN!
I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but this one just felt dull. It lacked the magic of the first book, and came across boring to me. I disliked how most of the characters acted, and didn't like how the story progressed. Even though the book was not very well done, I am going to complete the trilogy.


Next, I decided to carry on rereading The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series with The Titan's Curse
5/5 Stars
This is the third book in PJO. I have read this book before, but it was three years ago, and with The Blood of Olympus coming out, I thought it was important to reread the series. 
PJO follows a young boy who finds out he is half-god and half-human, or a halfblood. He has to escape from monsters, fulfill prophecies, and mainly just stay alive. 
I love this retelling of the Greek Gods. This is probably the weakest of the series, but still utterly fantastic. I love the characters, plot, and world. I don't think I could ever have too much Percy Jackson. 

After PJO, I read Saga, volume one by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. 
5/5 Stars
Comic Books!! This is a sci-fi/ fantasy comic book series about a young family that is escaping their world, in order to raise their baby. Their two races are at war, so their love is illegal. When they have a kid, they have to keep the baby safe at all costs.
If you saw my review, you would know that I LOVED this. The characters were beautiful -both physically and personality-wise. I loved the plot of this book, it was fast paced enough to where I was never bored, but not too fast, so that I felt that I paid $10 for five minutes of reading. All the characters were very distinct, so there was no confusion. LOVE!
WARNING- CONTAINS TONS OF ADULT CONTENT

Next, I read Crank by Ellen Hopkin, the first book in the Crank trilogy. 
4/5 Stars
This is about a young, beautiful, perfect girl who gets into the drug scene, and screws her life up. 
I liked this book, but didn't love it. I was never especially attached to any of the characters, and Kristina was just so stupid. The drugs were described in a way that made it sound appealing, and that was the reason it got 4 stars. I did adore the writing, and the descriptions of things. The writing was the whole reason that I read this book, and it did not disappoint. 

The last book I read was The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. It is the first book in the Summer trilogy. 
4/5 Stars
This is about a girl who every year goes to her family friend's beach house with her brother, mom, mom's best friend, and the friend's two sons. The girl has always been in love with one of the boys, but the other has always been her best friend. They never really paid her much attention, but she got pretty over the school year, and they seem to be noticing her. It is going to be an unforgettable summer!
I adored everything about this book. It was fun, and summery, and giggly, and happy. It was just what I needed to break me out of my reading slump. I can't wait to read the next two books, and I hope they get even better than this one. 

That month could have been better, but I am loving it. Are you loving summer (winter for the southern hemisphere)? I will talk to you soon with my July TBR/ June Book Haul. Whichever one I decide to do first!

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment