Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday- Top 5 Books I Struggled to Finish

I am going to assume that you know something about this series because all of the BookTubers do it. Regardless, I am going to do all of the typical info about it. This series was created by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey; it has a Goodreads group that is used for finding out all of the topics, and who participates. Every week there is a new topic, and they are usually pretty great topics.

Lets Begin!



5.  I am going to give this to Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.
This may come as a surprise to you because it is very popular, and tons of people love it. I thought it was very slow, the characters were not very likable, and honestly the romance seemed very unnatural. One day, the characters hated each other, but the next day they were kissing. Honestly, this story just wasn't captivating. I ended up giving this one 2.5/5 stars, and am not continuing on with the series. 

4.  Next, I have One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.
I had to read this book for my book club, and it just took too long to read. The characters were well developed, but I couldn't sympathize with any of them. Plot-wise, nothing happened in this book. The main character was just screwing around with the workers for 90% of this book, and although it was comical, it was not interesting. I loved the movie, but the book should have been 100 pages shorter. 

3. For number three, I am going to choose Circle Nine by Anne Heltzel.
This book's summary made it seem like a normal book about memory loss, but *spoiler alert* it is about an abusive relationship. It was advertised as a psychological thriller, but I wasn't thrilled. It did have the normal plot points of any amnesia book- no memory, hints of the memory, realized tragic accident, full memory restoration. This book was painful to read, but on the bright side, it was only 200 pages. 

2.  I am going to bet that you haven't heard of the next book. It is called Black Crow White Lie, and it's by Candi Sari.
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and the ratings made it seem like a fantastic coming-of-age novel, but it was just not very good. The main character is a healer, and his alcoholic mom told him white lies about his father. He has to come to terms with the lies, and figure out what he wants to do with his life. I just was no interested with any of the characters, and the story was very dull. 

1.  The number one book I struggled to finish is..... drumroll please............
World War Z by Max Brooks.
I hated this book. I hated the movie (except Brad Pitt. He was perfect). I just hate the story. Its format was weird, and I couldn't get into it for that reason. It was put together as a lot of interviews of people who survived the zombie war, and their experiences during it. Yes, that sound pretty cool, but not when you meet a character, like their personality and voice, then never see that character again. There were times when I just had to cringe because some of the people really didn't deserve to survive the war. I can't say enough bad things about this book. It was about 350 pages, and it took me three MONTHS to read. And don't even get me started on the movie. 

Well, that was a positive start to this series. Next week will be a lot more positive. I promise. 

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment