Saturday, June 21, 2014

Top Seven Saturday: Top 7 Books I've Read This Year

Hello!! So far this year I have read 56 books. I am going to attempt to choose my top 7 very favorite books from the year. This is going to be a very hard thing to do, but I am up for the challenge.

7. To start things off, I am choosing Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis.
This is about a post-apocolyptic world where water is scarce, but the main character has a pond in her front yard. That is a big deal. She has learned to defend the pond at all costs, even if it means killing people. She has always had her mom to teach and guide her, but early on in the story her mom dies. She has to make sure she can survive, but can she do it on her own.
I loved this book. The characters were beautiful. Lynn's transformation was admirable. And Eli. Just Eli.

6. Next, I have The Dust Lands Trilogy by Moira Young.


*Warning* The writing style is very different and will take some getting used to. If you can get passed that, the series is great.
This is another post-apocolyptic book. The main character has always been close to her twin brother, but her dad is disconnected, and she hates her little sister. When her brother is kidnapped, and her father killed, she has to step up with her little sister, and get her brother back. In the process of saving her brother, she herself gets kidnapped and has to cage fight. She still has a brother to save, how and will she do it? 
This series will always have a special place in my heart because I love Saba, and Jack. All three books were fantastic, and it was so action packed that I read the first two books in a day. Then had to wait four moths for the next book. Then read it in two days. The writing was perfect for the book, and a magnificent debut for Moira Young. 
PS: I know this is three books, but since it is a trilogy I just wanted to count it as one. 

5. This place will go to More Than This by Patrick Ness.

In the prologue, the main character drowns. He remembers drowning, but after he dies, he wakes up in his childhood town. It is overgrown, and everything is empty, but it is most certainly his childhood home. What happened? Why is he in his old town? Is he dead? Is it heaven? Hell? Purgatory? 
I am going to be repetitive and say that I love this book. It was not always rich in plot, but always intriguing enough to where I couldn't put this book down. I loved Seth, I even loved his boyfriend that we never actually meet. This is one of the best books ever, and a very meaningful book.

4. This is going to a very different pick. It is 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad.
This book is about three teenagers who have been chosen to go to the moon for 172 hours. NASA wants to go to the moon again because something is up there, and they want to know what it is. What is up there? And are they friendly or deadly?
I don't read horror. I never read horror. But I read horror for this book. I didn't know this was going to be a horror book, but it was. And I loved every second of it. I should have known this was horror from the cover of the book; I love the cover of the book. The book is split into three parts. Part one is before the moon mission, and that time is spent so that you can have lots of conspiracy theories (that are not going to be correct). The second part is when they actually go to the moon. You know exactly what's up there. Part three is after the moon mission. Nothing will ever be the same after it. 

3. I am going to pick Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell for this one.
Fangirl is about a girl who is going into her freshman year of college. She writes fan fiction online about Simon Snow which is their equivalent of Harry Potter. She is very shy and awkward, and has always stuck with her sister. But her sister decided to be the typical freshman, and ditched Cath and makes her choose a random roommate. 
This was such an adorable book. I may or may not have bursted out in fits of giggles multiple times in the book. This book was flawless in everything except that I wanted MORE! I think I will love this book more when I am actually in college, but I love it now, too.
2. I am picking another contemporary for this one. It is Ask the Passengers by A.S. King.
This book is about Astrid Jones who thinks she is a lesbian, but isn't sure. She is sure that she loves being with her girlfriend. She lives in a small town where everyone is judgmental, and doesn't tolerate diversity (BOO). She doesn't want her love to be able to be controlled by the people around her, so she sends it to the passengers of airplanes who can take it with them wherever they go. 
Astrid was one of the most real characters I have ever read. She was so cute both by herself, with her friends, and with her girlfriend. I loved the diversity in the book. I loved the passages where you could see how Astrid's love affected the passengers. I think that was a large part of why I loved everything about this book. I NEED to read all of the A.S. King books now. 

1. For my favorite book of the year [so far], I am choosing A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
I think you know what this book is about, but I will tell you anyway. It is a low-fantasy book set in the Seven Kingdoms. It is a country that is very dysfunctional, and everyone wants to be king. You follow many different characters, so you know everything that is going on everywhere in the Seven Kingdoms. It is fantastic.
Yes, I hopped on the bandwagon. I am glad I did. I read the book, adored it ( as much as you can adore a George R.R. Martin book.) Then, I watched the first season. I am currently reading the second book, and loving it. I need to get on with the series because my brother (who watches the show, and is cruel) keeps threatening to spoil the book. I know, I know. I thought cruel and unusual punishment is illegal too. Well, I digress. The point is that the book was great.

I hope you have some new books on your TBR shelf. I am sorry, and you're welcome.

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment