Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Review of Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth

Four: A Divergent Collection
by Veronica Roth
Bindup of 4 Novellas and 3 Exclusive Scenes
Age Range: 13+
Grade Level: Middle School-ish

Pages: 285
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books

These novellas are about Four's initiation and experience with Dauntless. Three of the four novellas take place before before Four meets Tris, but the sat novella occurs during her Dauntless initiation. Al of the exclusive scenes are during Tris' initiation. 







Initial Thoughts:
I liked reading this. I love Four as a character, so this was naturally a good read for me. I had fun reading the stories, but they were in not that great. 
The Good:

  • It seemed like Veronica did a better job developing Four's voice than she did in Allegiant. I could actually tell that he thought differently that Tris when reading this book.
  • I liked reading about Four's initiation, and getting a different take on how the initiation changed from Four's year to Tris'. The initiation was my favorite part of the normal series for me, and I loved getting a different take on it.
  • You really got to see how much of an ass Eric is not only as he was in Divergent, but how he has always been since he joined Dauntless.
The Bad:
  • I'm just going to put it out there that I thought the exclusive scenes were kind of pointless; they were scenes from Divergent from Four's perspective, and they were just not very interesting scenes. There were much more interesting things that happened in Divergent that we could have gotten in the exclusive scenes.
  • I don't think Tris should have been a very big part of the novellas because it is 100% about Four's experience, and Tris was after the fact.
Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

_________________________________________________________________________________

Content:
Violence: Pretty frequent and pretty graphic
Language: Not a thing
Sex: kissing
Misc: child abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment