Monday, July 14, 2014

Review of In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo

In the Shadows
by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo
Standalone
Age Range: 13+
Grade Level: Middle School-ish

Pages: 384
Publisher: Scholastic

5 very separate lives are brought together by a boardinghouse in a vacation town, and a mysterious secret society. As the secrets go untold, the lives of these 5 kids are changed, and not for the best.








My Thoughts:
This was a very fun, quick read (perfect for a readathon.) The pictures were BEAUTIFUL! They may have been more than a bit confusing, but I always loved looking at them. The characters were always fun, and a real pleasure to read about.

The Good:

  • Like I said before, the pictures were stunning. The art always looked superb, and I loved the way the characters were drawn in a way that you could really tell someone's personality just by looking at the drawing.
  • I was intrigued by the secret society. It was a cool concept, and it was well thought out and was executed okay.
  • The ending was actually hilarious. The last few pictures were some of the funniest, most random drawings I have ever seen. Having said that, I loved how the story ended, and thought it was the perfect way to end the book.
  • I am just going to put it out there that I liked the paper. Yes, yes, I know. It is the most random comment I could have said, but the book has really nice paper.
The Bad:
  • Although the pictures were stunning, they didn't really make sense. They always portrayed the story of some random guy who goes through time and never ages, but it isn't until near the very end of the story that you know who the man is. I did guess from the beginning who the man was, and I know it was supposed to build up suspense, but I just found the picture story out of place. 
  • I never really connected to the characters. They were well developed, but they were just not people who I could attach myself to on an emotional level. 
  • I loved the drawing chapters, but most of the writing chapters just seemed bland.
Would I Recommend This Book to Anyone:
YES! I had fun reading this. If you're looking for a fun supernatural/ paranormal read, then you should give this book a go. If you are looking for beautiful pictures with a story tied in, then you should also try reading this book.

Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

_________________________________________________________________________

Content:
Language: not a problem in the slightest
Violence: there is much talk of violence, but minimal written that really happened to the characters. There is some drawn "violence" but it is mostly just cruelty.
Sex: kissing. not even a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment