Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review of One, Two, Three by Elodie Nowodazkij


One, Two, Three 
by Elodie Nowodazkij
Standalone
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 6th GradePages: 296Publisher: Createspace


Before this book takes place, the main character just got into a car accident that killed her father, and her dancing career. She blames herself for her father's death, even though he was the one driving. She moved into her grandmother's house, and has to start at a new school. At the new school she meets a sexy soccer player, Antonio, and starts a romance with him. She has to deal with her problems before she can take on anything new.



My Thoughts:
I thought this book was only okay. I didn't really connect to any of the characters, but I had fun reading this. I'm glad that I did end up reading it, but I don't plan on ever rereading it in the future.

What was good:
I was getting worried that there would be insta-love in this book, but I was happily surprised that there was not! The romance was well paced, and never seemed to go too fast.
I liked the incorporation of Spanish and Russian. It was never too often, and the translations were always given.

What was bad:
The romance took on a very linear pattern, and it seemed to be like every other contemporary romance: meet, attraction, problem, date, attraction, big problem, happy ending. I was hoping for a romance that was different from most other literature, but I was disappointed.
I didn't really think the book was very well written. It's descriptions were very average; the best descriptions we got were the use of ballet terms to describe how the girl was feeling. I think would have gotten more out of them if I knew anything about ballet. And also, they were used so much that it stopped having the effect that the descriptions should have. 

Lasting quality:
This book was very flat, and the story was not one that will stick with you or haunt you after reading it. I like books that stay there, and are always at the back of your mind, even after it ended, but unfortunately this one was gone right after I finished. 

Rating:


Last Thoughts:
I enjoyed reading this, and read it quickly, but it is not a very good book. If you're looking for a fun book about ballet, love and family issues, this is a good book for you. If you want a thought provoking book, I would look elsewhere.

XOXO,
Belle

_________________________________________________________________________________

Content:

Language: Minimal cursing in English, some cursing in Spanish
Violence: Very minimal violence
Drugs: alcoholism, and drinking to forget
Sex: some talk of sex, much kissing
Family Issues: adultery, minimal abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment