Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review of Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

Lies We Tell Ourselves
by Robin Talley
384 Pages
Publishing Date: September 30, 2014
Age Range: 15+
Grade Level: 9th+
Publisher: Harlequin Teen

This book is about 10 black high school students who integrate an all white school. One of the students, Sarah Dunbar, is forced to work with a very outspoken segregationist's daughter, Linda Hairston.








The Short:
This was a very well done book. I don't think I have every read a book from the Civil Rights era, and I am glad that I did. After reading Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee, which is about the times of slavery, I was very interested to see a more in depth look at another horrible time in history for blacks. I really liked this book.

The Long:
The setting of this book was in Virginia in the Civil Rights era. Since Virginia is considered a southern state, the racism was horrendously obvious. From the first time the black students stepped foot on the school grounds they were treated like scum. Very little changed from the start of the year to the end in that aspect, but it still got somewhat better.
The characters seemed like real people who lived in the time period, and I loved learning more and more about them. They were so full with all of their quirks, and I loved it.
The LGBT aspect in this book was very interesting because it was not a normal thing during the time period. Most everyone focused on the mistreatment of blacks, but it was not until recently that LGBT equality became a real issue. The people did not understand what was going on with them, and decided that they were going to hell for it. That just about broke my heart when they casted THEMSELVES off as lesser for being gay. It was overall a very well done aspect of the book.
The story was wonderful. I really liked it. It was very well timed, and never seemed to drag on. Having said that, I felt that this book was missing something. I again can't describe what it was, but it just was missing.
I adored this book, and will probably be buying a finished copy when it is released.

The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle

______________________________________________________________________________
Content:
Language: VERY strong language in this book, particularly the N-word
Violence: a lot of racial violence, and racial bullying
Sex: very minimal

______________________________________________________________________________
I received this book for review, and all of my opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment