Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Review of Map of Days by Robert Hunter

Map of Days
by Robert Hunter
56 Pages
Publisher: Nobrow Press
Age Range: 5+
Grade Level: Pre-K

This is the story of a boy who becomes obsessed with the ticking of the clocks in his grandfather's house. One night when he can't flee for the ticking was to much for him, he climbed into one of the clocks as he saw his grandfather do previously. He is transported to a world where he feels a need to help the only inhabitant.








The Note:
Above I said that this was appropriate for 5+. That is not to say it is a low quality story. The story was appropriate for  children of the age, but to completely value the meaning of the story, they should be older. The only problem with younger kids reading this is that they my want bigger font and pictures, but this book is told like a comic book, so it doesn't have one picture per page.  If the kid wants a fun story with pretty pictures, then be my guest, read the book. If you are older and want a cool story with a somewhat complex subtextual meaning, then read the book. It is perfect for people of any age. :D

The Short:
This was such a weird book. I am not saying that as a bad thing because I love weird. Weird movies, TV shows, people and most of all BOOKS! The quality of this book was magnificent. The story was beautiful both visually and plot-wise. I love the amount of work that Nobrow Press put into making this book work well. The size, and binding of the book was perfectly suited for the books. Nice job!

The Good:

  • As I stated above, I loved the story. It was just weird enough that I could latch onto the story, and when I thought it couldn't get any weirder, GUESS WHAT?! It did. It was a perfect story, and could not have been told better in more pages.
  • The art was beautiful. It was so well done. The pictures were done in such a way that it had a cool color scheme, but each frame would have a focal point with a color that would stand out on the cool background; the art nerd in me loved that. 
  • The quality of the book was off the charts. It was not something I would expect from a smaller publishing company, but Nobrow Press really knows how to put a book together. They used quality paper in the actual book, and that is something I really appreciate. Even the overall hardcover is beautiful. It really captures the essence of the story.
  • The message of the story is one that I will always cherish. I think this is a book that I could read again and again, and find something else that is below the surface. The lit nerd in me was happy with this book.

The Bad:
  • It is really hard for me to come up with a negative about this, and the only thing I came up with was that at times it was confusing, but I think that was necessary for you to fully grasp the story. 
The Rating:




XOXO,
Belle


________________________________________________________________________________

Content:
If you are at all worried about the content of this book being suitable for you, it is. There was no bad language, violence, or sex. It just wasn't a thing in this book. The worst thing was someone being madly in love with someone he couldn't have, but I don't think that would be a problem for anyone.




________________________________________________________________________________
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.


________________________________________________________________________________
I have become a fangirl for Nobrow Press. I have linked their website, and I think you should check them out if you like graphic novels. They are so hardworking, and their books are very well made. I would highly recommend checking them out. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment