Saturday, August 16, 2014

Review of Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee

Under a Painted Sky
by Stacey Lee
384 pages
Release Date: March 17, 2015
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7th

This is the story of two girls who set out on the Oregon Trail dressed as boys. One of the girls is black and a former slave while the other is a Chinese girl who is escaping after just killing someone. The two girls meet three cowboys, and they form a strong friendship. Each person has a  different motive, but they all are going the same way.







The Short:
This book. This book. THIS BOOK. I have no bad things to say about this book. I don't think Stacey Lee could have done a better job with this story. It was so happy, and positive, but it had some twists and turns that kept the story going.

The Good:

  • The characters were so well done. You knew each character, their motives, and their past. They were such wonderfully developed characters.
  • The setting was gorgeous. It takes place in 1849, and the characters were going along the Oregon Trail. I have never read a western novel, but this makes me what to get into that genre. The way that Lee set up the setting, you just felt like you were transported to the time of the Oregon Trail.
  • The story was beautiful. I loved every aspect of it, and it was never dull. Way to go, Stacey Lee!
  • The message was perfect. It was white people who accepted a black and an asian, even though the two minorities were not thought of as equal to the whites. I loved this so much.
  • The Chinese culture was beautifully woven into the story. I loved that aspect of it.

The Bad:

  • I didn't like all of the religious stuff in this book. I don't really enjoy reading about religion, and that seemed to big thing to many of the characters.
  • It just didn't give me the emotion that I was hoping for. I don't know how to explain it, but it just wasn't enough of some aspect that I can't think of. That is the reason that I can only give this book 4 stars.
Recommend?:
I would 140% recommend this book to anyone who like historical fiction. I don't think this book could have been more satisfying to me. I absolutely adored it! Keep your eyes out for this book; it could become a really big deal in the upcoming months. 

Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

________________________________________________________________________________

Content:

Language: infrequent language use.
Violence: not that much of a problem. minimal
Sex: some talk of sex. someone with an average maturity level would be fine with this book

________________________________________________________________________________
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment