Friday, August 15, 2014

Sneak Peaks

I don't know about you, but I hate looking at sneak peaks for books. It could be my most anticipated book every, but I will not read the first few chapters when you give me the chance to. I want to be able to experience the whole book for the first time, and not say, "Oh, I remember this."

I got sent a chapter sampler of Lets Get Lost by Adi Alsaid, and I am obsessed with the book, but I still have yet to read the sampler. I don't know why I am holding off because I don't know if or when I will ever get the book, but I just have no need to read through it. I think maybe I have some subconscious fear that it will end on a cliffhanger, so I will HAVE to go out and purchase the book. I am pretty sure that a contemporary road trip book wouldn't even have a cliffhanger, but you never know.

At BEA this year, they were giving out chapter samplers of In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken, and I felt like I should be jealous of everyone who got one. But I did not even feel remotely jealous. I don't know. I have a burning need to own and read the book, but I don't want to read some of it and be dying having to wait another few months for the rest of the book to show up. Another problem is that I may not feel any need to read the first few chapters that I already saw. And what if they change from the sampler to the finished book? I would have spent time in a world, and never gotten closure, AND THEN it wasn't even the real thing. I think that would be incredibly disappointing.

Oftentimes, a few months before a book is released, the publishing company will give you some chapters to read. It could be one or two chapters all the way to fifteen chapters to read. I have never looked at the sneak peak chapters, not once. It goes back to the not wanting to spoil myself before the book is ever released. I like being able to turn the page not just scroll through chapter samplers.

What about the sneak peak chapter at the end of the books?

Nope. I can't do that either. I don't see any need to continue on with a book that I can't read the rest of it in that same moment. I always feel somewhat of  temptation of to look at them, but I always rule against it because I don't like looking at them.

Do you guys look at chapter samplers, or sneak peaks? Let me know in the comments or tweet at me on Twitter.

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment