Thursday, September 4, 2014

August 2014 Wrap Up


I did a pretty average reading job this month. It has been better than I have in a few months, so I guess that is a good thing, but I still want to get better with reading regularly again. Granted, I had to get reacquainted with school work, and Sophomore year is a lot more work than freshman especially when I am taking an extra class. But I digress, here are the books I read in August.


The Awakening by Kate Chopin
I didn't like this book. It was not very good, and the characters were ALL dull. When I wrote the review, I make a conscious decision not to finish the book, but when I showed up to lit on the first day of school, GUESS WHAT?! We had to write an essay the next day on it. I spent the entire next day of school reading the book, and you know what? It didn't get any better. The ending was shallow (well it was pretty deep for Edna :P), and overall it was not a good book. I stick by review even though I didn't have the full view of the book at the time.
2/5 Stars

Love and Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
This was the perfect end to this series. It was just as sweet at the other two, but it was wonderful. All the characters became ones that knew exactly who they were, and did not need anyone to explain to them how they should act. The three girls became the person that they needed to be through going to the orchard, but even when they had to leave the orchard, the friends stayed together, and should be some of the friends that don't lose contact with each other. Also, BOYS! HOT DAMN the boys in this are perfect.
4/5 Stars

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han
This series is the perfect one to read for summer. You got the beach. You got the feels. You got the smoking how guys. WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?! But really this book and the series overall is very well done. When you read the titles of these books, you would probably think that they are just some sappy, average, pointless, linear love story, but that would be a very wrong assumption. This book brought the family aspect along with the romantic ones. The characters in this feel real, and Jenny Han really knows how to tell a summery story.
4/5 Stars

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
So basically Jenny Han is perfect. I don't think I need to elaborate but because I love you guys, I will. This ending was great. She made the correct choice. It was crazy interesting, and all the characters stayed true to themselves. I was more than ecstatic for this ending, and if you haven't read this series, READ THIS SERIES!!!
4/5 Stars

Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
I don't really read much historical fiction, but when I heard about this book, I immediately requested an ARC of it, and I received it! I immediately read this book, and I really enjoyed it. Stacey Lee really knows how to bring you on a journey of epic proportions. These two girls dressed up as dudes and won the Oregon trail. I don't think you can really win the Oregon trail (unless you're talking about the game), but these girls did. The characters were vivid and read, and overall just perfect. There were hot cowboys too, so that is always a plus. 
4/5 Stars

Map of Days by Robert Hunter
This is a graphic novel that I decided to read because I didn't want to start a new book yet. I adored everything about this book. The art was beautiful. The characters were interesting. The story was one of the weirdest thing I have ever read. And even the book itself was very high quality. I don't even have enough good things to say about this graphic novel. I really want to check out more are by Robert Hunter!
5/5 Stars

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
This was one of those books that you never forget. I haven't ever read anything from the Civil Rights Era, so I was immediately intrigued when I heard about this book. When I read this book, I thought it was wonderful. The characters were dynamic, and were exactly who they should be (even if they didn't think so themselves). I appreciated the LGBT aspect of this book, and I enjoyed how well done it was. This was a very interesting time period because everyone was VERY religious, and the white people were very close-minded. I can't even begin to describe the sympathy I felt for the black people at the all white school. You really should read this book when it comes out. 
4/5 Stars

I read some very good books this month, and one that was not good at all. I am very happy with the quality of the books I read in August, but I hope September is even better!

My September TBR should be up very soon!

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment