Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Review of The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan

The Dolls
by Kiki Sullivan
First book in The Dolls series
Age Range: 13+
Grade Level: 8th Grade
384 Pages
Publisher: Balzer and Bray

This book is about a girl who goes back to her small southern town after being away from the town for many years. Her encounters with people are less than normal, and as she finds out more about her town from a mysteriously attractive group of people called The Dolls, she realizes that there is more to the story than what is just on the surface.






The Short:
I was hoping that I would like this book. The premise was cool, and the cover is gorgeous, but it just wasn't the book for me. It seemed very shallow, and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters. They were all very rash and illogical, and I just don't like characters like that. The story was average, and not something that I was particularly fond of.

The Good:


  • The magic/ voodoo system was pretty cool. I did appreciate that aspect of the book. It was very intricate, and it seemed to be something that the author spent a ton of time perfecting.
  • There was a spy in the town, and it was cool that you never knew who it was. I did guess correctly, for it was not that hard to figure out. 
The Bad:
  • I didn't like any of the characters.  Quite simply, they were just snotty. All of the queens felt entitled to everything even though it was at the expense of someone else. I couldn't get a feel for the characters and their motives. Not a good aspect of the story.
  • The story was soooooo slooooooow. It just kept going. I thought that I should be nearing the end, but I would still have 100 pages left. It was a lot of fluff and not a lot of action.
  • I didnt like the message that this story sent. It was kind of like, "it is okay to take from others as longs you're benefitting". I do not like it.
  • Going back to the characters: Eveny's narration was like a girl who pretended to be able to be snarky. I hate characters like that. JUST BE YOU!
The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

_______________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
Language: minor if any
Sex: lot of sex talk, some sexual actions
Violence: minor, if you're REALLY squeamish just don't read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment