Monday, October 20, 2014

Pre-Blog Goodreads Reviews Part I: Classics

I posted many reviews on the Goodreads from before I made this blog, and now I am going to post all of them no matter how bad they actually are. This is going to be a six part series, and there will be a LOT of reviews, so get excited!! I am not going to do much explaining on what the book is about, only the cover of the book, a VERY brief synopsis, the review, and my rating, so if my review strikes your fancy, check it out on Goodreads.

Candide by Voltaire

This is a satirical masterpiece by Voltaire. It is about a man, Candide, who is optimistic by nature, a lot of bad stuff happens to him.

Review: I thought it was gonna be better. :/

3/5 Stars








V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd

Future, totalitarian London. Awesome superhero coming to change the world. Also, a comic book.

Review: This was really fun.

5/5 Stars












Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien

Set in a Post-Nuclear War. The main character lives in a little valley that was unaffected by the radiation, and she is thought to be the last person alive. That is until a man in a hazmat suit comes waltzing into her haven.

Review:  It was a very cool concept, but I didn't think it delivered.

3/5 Stars






Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

You know the story. Star-crossed lovers. Feuding families. Forbidden love. 

Review: Meh. The characters were voting. The plot was thin. Definitely not the book for me.

Rating: 3/5 Stars











Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I know all of you had to read this for school, so you know exactly what this book is about, but I'm going to tell you anyway. A kid meets a new girl on the first day of school, and they become very fast friends. They create a magical world on the other side of a creek by the boy's house. 

Review: I didn't like the plot of this book, but as far as I can remember the characters were pretty well made.

2/5 Stars






The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

An average Japanese man's cat disappears, and following its disappearance his whole life gets out of whack.

Review: I have finally finished this book, it took sooooooo long (or at least it felt that way). The first 300 pages of the story were pretty dull because Toru spent almost all of that time sitting alone in his house, and cooking dinner. But after he decided that leaving his house would be okay, the story really started to pick up. A lot of the story was someone reminiscing about their past, or sex, lots of sex. I enjoyed the fantastical elements of the story, they added some fun to break up some of the monotony. All in all, the story was enjoyable, and one of the best books I have had to read for school.

4/5 Stars




The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

A man loves the past more than a woman loves him.

I went into this book not knowing much about it; only that it was a classic and Leonardo DiCaprio was on the cover. Having Said that, I really enjoyed reading it. I thought the plot was rich, and I love the 20's, so naturally I enjoyed it. I felt like the transitions were awkward, and they skipped around without any warning. The book was good, but not as great as the title leads you to believe.







I hope you enjoy my awful reviews.

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment