Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Review of Me Being Me Is Exactly as Insane as You Being You by Todd Hasak-Lowy

Me Being Me Is Exactly as Insane as You Being You
By Todd Hasak-Lowy
Standalone
656 Pages
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Age Range: 14+
Grade Level: 9+
Publisher: Simon Pulse

Honestly, I think this book is better when you go in blind, so I will not be giving much about this book. All I am going to say is that this is a novel written in lists.








The Short:
Wow. I am blown away by the writing in this book. I don't even know how the author made a book 100% in lists. Literally, I am just astounded by the quality of this book. I don't even understand. I know I liked it. I am 110% positive that I liked this book. I am 2348734765% positive that I am impressed by this book. I don't even know how to formulate sentences.

The Good:

  • IT IS WRITTEN IN LISTS! What?! How did he even get the idea for this concept. And more importantly how did he execute it so well. At the beginning of the books, I wasn't used to the writing style, so I had a lot of trouble understanding what was going on, but the author eased you into the story, so by the time things were starting to happen, you could understand what was going on in the story.
  • You were IN the head of  a 15 year old boy. All the thoughts he had were ones that I would expect a 15 year old to be thinking. I am impressed by the way that the author really dissected the thoughts of a 15 year old, and very bluntly presented how a boy of that age would think.
  • The main character's decisions were very logical. He never did anything too outrageous, and I always could see why he made the choices that he did even though they may not have been the best for the given situation.
  • THEY MENTIONED WILCO! WILCO, AS IN MY FAVORITE BAND EVER, WAS MENTIONED!
  • The love interest was fantastic. I loved her. Not everyone will be so happy with her character, but I adored her. She was fantastic and weird and just someone I would want to hang out with.
  • The originality of the story. I don't think I have ever heard of or read a book quite like this one. It was refreshing. I loved that about this book.
  • FAMILY DRAMA! Loved it.
  • The main character's brother was like the best character ever. He was so screwed up, and I was SO entertained by him.
  • It may be a 650 page book, but it was so quick. I read it in three days. SO FAST!

The Bad:
  • The story was kind of slow. There was a period towards the middle of the book that it was dragging, but that is to be excepted in a 650 page book. Luckily, the slow period didn't last that long, and it picked up pretty quickly.
  • You were IN the head of a 15 year old boy. You got all of their thoughts, and when I say all of them, I mean ALL of them.
The Rating:

The Closing Thoughts:
I really liked this book, but I just can't give it 5 stars. I don't know. It was just lacking something. I don't know how to describe it, but it just wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, this was a GREAT book, and you should check it out when it gets released, but it was just lacking in something. 
Okay, I swear if this book is not a HUGE deal when it comes out, there is going to be a problem. It was original, and fantastic, and IT IS WRITTEN LISTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! You really should look into it, and put it on your to-buy list for next year!

XOXO,
Belle

_________________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
Language: I'm not gonna lie, there was a LOT of casual swear words. When I say a lot, I mean about what you would expect from a  normal high school boy.
Violence: Not a thing.
Drug Use: Lots of pot. 
Sex: You're in the head of a 15 year old boy. Lots of sexual thoughts. And there is a good amount of actually sex happening.

This is probably one of the dirtiest YA reads I have read in a  while, and I LOVED that about it!
_________________________________________________________________________________I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a truthful one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment