Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review of The Merciless by Danielle Vega

The Merciless
By Danielle Vega
Standalone
279 Pages
Age Range: 14+
Grade Level: 9th Grade
Publisher: Razorbill

When Sofia moves to her new school, she doesn't think she is going to fit in because she was an outsider at her last school. Super popular girl, Riley, befriends Sofia. Riley and her friends seem to be the perfect girls, until Riley says she needs to preform an exorcism on Sofia's friend and Riley's enemy, Brooklyn. This is not how Sofia thought her year would go.






The Short:
This was a very different read for me. I don't read or watch horror (if you're following me on the Twitters, you would know that I am trying to change that), so picking up this book was very weird. I knew I was going to like it because the concept of the book interested me, but I had no idea to what extent. This was a very good book. It was well written, and absolutely disgusting in the most wonderful way possible.
The Good:

  • The descriptions in this book were utterly amazing. It did not matter whether blood or curtains were being described, you always knew exactly what Sofia was seeing. 
  • I'm just gonna put it out there that the violence was amazing. Danielle Vega did an absolutely fantastic job not only describing what was happening but also making the horrible things that were happening so creative. I have to give her major props for being so creative that she could come up with so many vile acts.
  • WTF WAS THAT ENDING.
  • The screwed up form of Christianity that all of them practiced was so entertaining. I laughed so hard when they were spouting their exorcism prayers. 
  • Brooklyn was so dumb, yet so entertaining. Whenever she was just screwing with Riley and the rest of the gand I was like, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YA SPOON?!" But at the same time I was like, "HAHAHAHA YES"

The Bad:

  • This is a horror book, but I was never scared. It was really disturbing and I was grossed out, but never truly scared. I want to read a book and be scared, and not about to go to sleep with the light out, but this book just didn't give me that. 
  • There was very minimal character development, but I do not actually care that much because I wanted to be scared not to understand the characters. I just wanted to know which character was which, but I always got confused as to which one had blonde hair and which one dressed weird.

The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle

___________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
Language: Frequent and strong language.
Violence: Torture, murder,  and blood. Lots of vividly described blood.
Sex: Some kissing, some talk of sex. Not at all the focus of this book.
Drugs: Underaged drinking. One character is a drug addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment