Saturday, October 25, 2014

Review of This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

This Song Will Save Your Life
by Leila Sales
Standalone
279 Pages
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7th
PublisherFarrar, Straus and Giroux

This is the story of a high school sophomore who on the first day of her 10th grade year decides to kill herself. Fortunately, her attempt fails, and her life becomes worse than it ever was, until she stumbles upon an underground dance club, and meets people who really accept her for who she is. Soon after, she charts to DJ at said dance club, and everything seems perfect. Until it isn't.






The Short:
To put it bluntly, I LOVED this book. I loved everything about it, and couldn't get enough of it. I really, really liked Elise. She was everything I would ever want in a friends, and that begs the question, WHY DID NO ONE LIKE HER IN THE FIRST PLACE? She was literally SO COOL! Anyways, this book was completely and utterly magnificent and I would recommend it to music lovers everywhere.

The Good:

  • I'm gonna be honest, I adored the music references. I knew from the time I was flipping through this book, and say Blur on the recommended listening that I would love this book. Just throughout the book I would see a reference and I would be like, "Hey, I know them!" I would feel really good about myself and would love the characters even more.
  • That was a perfect segway to my next point, I loved the characters. They would be people that I would love to meet. They just seemed so real, and like the people that I would find cool and interesting to talk to. None of the characters were perfect, and that made me love them even more, their flawed backstories were heartbreakingly real, and I just wish I would meet people like them.
  • The character arc of Elise was magical. You could tell at the beginning that she was breaking and that she would never survive the life that she lived, but by the end when she blossomed into something and someone who loves not only her life, but herself. 
  • The ending killed me. I didn't cry, but that was my fault. I was listening to Falling Away With You by Muse, and if I wanted to cry I should have been listening to United States of Eurasia by Muse because that song aways gets me. Anyway, I digress. The ending was perfect, and lovely, and just exactly what I was hoping for. It was everything that Elise deserved and more. 
The Bad:
  • It ended. 
The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle


______________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: I don't really remember how bad the language was.
The Sex: Some hooking up. Lots of making out. Some talk of sex. Nothing traumatic.
The Drugs: Social drinking with the intent to get drunk. Talk of drugs.
The Violence: No. Like none at all. 
Other triggers: Bullying. Both in person and on the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment