Thursday, October 2, 2014

September 2014 Wrap-Up

This was not a bad reading month at all! I am quite satisfied with my result of six books. It is not great, but I had a good enough time with all of the books that it doesn't matter how many books I read this month.
*If you get offended by really bad excuses, then stop reading for a few lines*
I had a lot of school work, and at least one test a week, so both my reading and my blogging were not very good this month. If you want to blame anyone, blame my teachers for giving us a lot of homework and tests. I should get a lot more reading done in October because I have a few days off, and I am not planning on trying very hard in school this month. :/
*End bad excuses*

Anyway. BOOKS!!

This was the first book I read and finished in the month of September, and it was pretty okay. I had a good time with the story and the characters, but there were a lot of info dumps, and that kind of turned me off of this book. Having said that, the author said there would not be info dumps in the next book, so I am stoked for that!!
3/5 Stars

This was very interesting book. It was historical fiction set in Oregon (Where I want to live when I stop being a teenager), and there was a paranormal aspect to it. I know that a lot of books have a paranormal aspect, but how many of those books have it brought on by a sexy hypnotist? Exactly! I did have a very good time reading this book even though it took me a lot longer than I care to admit to read it. I would highly recommend this book if you want a unique paranormal or a historical fiction set in the Suffrage Era.
4/5 Stars

To put it bluntly, I did not like this book. It was very shallow, and the characters lacked depth. having said that, I had a fun time reading it. It was angsty and completely devoid of any deeper meaning, but it was fun. If I could only say one thing about this book, it would be that this was very fun to read about. Since I have never read about Voodoo, this was truly an experience for me. Honestly, I would not recommend this book to you, for it was just surface level, nothing more.
2/5 Stars

I had to read this book for my literature class in school, and usually you don't enjoy books for school since the teacher digs below the surface, and when you think she should be done, she keeps digging. Well, it wasn't like that. We read the book for two weeks and went minimally into the subtext. It was great. Even though Ms. LitTeacher did a wonderful job teaching this book, I did not like it very much. It was boring and it dragged on. I LOVED the ending though. 99% of my class hated it, but I was standing in the corner with a single tear running down my face defending the ending's honor. Okay, fine, I'm exaggerating. I just liked the ending. Pretty okay book overall. Worth reading if you're feeling like knowing The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner's roots.
3/5 Stars

This was a graphic novel detailing Karl Marx's life and I was fascinated by it. The story was pretty interesting, and it was just the trials of Marx learning about who he is and how his philosophy fits into the world around him. This book was beautiful both in content and physically. I had a hell of a time reading it, and it was just short enough that it didn't drag, but not to long either. It was just all around very well done. 
4/5 Stars

I'm gonna make this awkward. 
Incest. 
Feel awkward yet? No? Oh, you must watch Game of Thrones. 
But more seriously, this book is about incest. I was kind of turned off by it to start out, but by the end I was like "You go guys!" It wasn't gross, it wasn't awkward. It was just an element to the story. And I didn't mind because Brauning made the romance in such a way that you were always hoping that they would work everything out, and be able to be together. There was also a murder-mystery aspect of the book that was not as well done. I felt that it was kind of random, and didn't really add anything to the story. I did have a good enough time reading this book, but it just seemed like any other contemporary with a slight twist in the details of the romance.
3/5 Stars

I guess I was a really harsh reviewer this month because I didn't give anything 5 stars. I hope that i read more next month, and have an overall more successful reading month. If I don't its okay, reading is fun, and it takes my mind off of things, so whatever. READING IS COOL!!

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment