Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pre-Blog Goodreads Reviews Part III: Sci Fi and Fantasy

Fantasy, and SciFi. What great genres. None of my reviews will do these books justice, but lets put them on this blog anyway.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

In this fantasy world, there is a big split through the country called the Shadow Fold. In the Shadow Fold, there is complete and total darkness and flesh eating monsters. The main character is a completely ordinary map-maker until she find out she is a sun summoner. She may be the only person able to destroy the Shadow Fold.

Review: I don't care what you say, I ship Alina and the Darkling

4/5 Stars 







Siege and Storm  by Leigh Bardugo

Second book in The Grisha Trilogy

Review:This book was hard to get through. Honestly, it was painfully slow, and more than half the book was Alina being angsty, Mal being moody, and Nikolai being charming. I really liked the first book, but this was just a disappointment. Nothing happened after about 100 pages until the last 50 pages. In the first book, I found the Darkling to be charming and a dynamic interesting character, but there was so few scenes with him in it that he was just pushed to the side, and it seemed as though he was cast off as unimportant. The addition of Nikolai was fantastic. He was an all around great character, and he is genuine, and charismatic, and charming. I knew there would be some comic relief whenever he was in the scene. Mal was like a kid who got a toy taken away from him; he was annoying, and just weak. 
2/5 Stars

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

A normal 12 year-old boy find out he is the son of a Greek god. To make things more difficult, he is the son of Poseidon who is not supposed to have any kids. 

Review: I haven't read this series in 3 years, and I forgot how utterly fantastic it was. Also, having read this it reminded me how completely atrocious the movie was. I love this series so much, and cannot wait to reread the rest of the series and start the Heroes of Olympus!!

5/5 Stars




The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

This is the second in the series, so no real summary. I will tell you: Greek Gods, Demigods, and Quests.

Review: This was definitely not as good as the first book, but still pretty epic. 

5/5 Stars










The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson book 3.

Review: I love this series so much. But this book was not as good as the first two. It still deserves 5 stars because it is absolutely fantastic, but the first two weren't as epic as this one. Honestly the whole Pan plot line is weird, and sort of pointless, but it is such a small part of the books that it doesn't really make a difference. I still love this series its so good.

5/5 Stars






Alienated by Melissa Landers

A few aliens come to Earth as part of an exchange program, and while they're expecting a less than warm welcome, they did not anticipate the reality.

Review: This was pretty good. I enjoyed the romance more that I thought I would. The characters were well done. My favorite pare was the descriptions of everything; they were all very weird, and always entertaining.

4/5 Stars






Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Zombies. Some of them are changing. One of the "changing" zombies takes a human girl back to the zombie compound. 

Review: This was a fantastic take on the cliche zombie stories that we all know and not really love. The narrator's voice was fantastic and witty. and I loved R. I thought the situation with Perry inside R's head was kind of weird, and I'm not sure if I liked that aspect of the book, but that did not in any way take away from the beauty of the story.

5/5 Stars





More Than This by Patrick Ness

Seth dies. Then he wakes up in his childhood neighborhood. It is all overgrown and completely empty. What happened? Is he dead? IS he is heaven? Hell?

Review: OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS SOOO GOOD! The world was so vivid and imaginative. The characters were fantastic. The message was great. The plot was always intriguing if nothing was really happening. I loved this so much. Bravo, Patrick Ness, Bravo.

5/5 Stars






Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinderella Retelling. Main character is a cyborg. There are evil people on the moon called Lunars. 

Review: This was a pretty good book, but not as good as I was hoping. I understand that there had to be a lot of world building, so you understand what things are like Lunars and Letumosis. Hopefully the next book is completely plot, so you there isn't much she has to elaborate on. I liked all the takes on classic Cinderella (like Cinder looking dirty at the ball). I wasn't sure who the fairy godmother was unless it was Iko. Speaking of Iko, poor poor Iko. And screw Adri, she is an awful person. This was a very enjoyable book even with the problems I had with it.

4/5 Stars


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Sequel to Cinder this time retelling Little Red Riding Hood.

Review: ** spoiler alert ** This book was even better than the first. I would rate Cinder a 4 stars whereas this book gets a 4.5. 
I liked the introduction of Scarlet, Thorne, and Wolf, but I was very glad that we still saw from Cinder and Kai's point of view. Near the end of the book, you got to see through Levana's point of view, and that was interesting to see what goes on in that messed up head of hers.
 The storyline, and how everyone's paths crossed was creative while we could still see the roots of Little Red Riding Hood. I was scared near the end that Thorne would die, but all is good as of right now. From the last book when we saw the wolf people on Luna, it was cool to see them (or a more human version of them) in action. 
KAI IS AN IDIOT. HE KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF HE MARRIES LEVANA, BUT HE IS STILL GOING FOR IT. Ballsy move, my friend, ballsy move.
 Scarlet, and Wolf's relationship with each other was a bit rushed in my opinion, and Wolf all but said that he was in love with Scarlet. I understand that they went through a lot in that ONE week, but really its only been a week. I can't really believe that it is love. 
I was annoyed with Wolf when he left Scarlet to die with the crazy wolf Lunars, but when we saw from his POV that he actually liked her, I somewhat forgave him. I was hoping that he would show Scarlet that he still cared, but it took too long for that to happen. 
Confession: I ship Cinder with Thorne over Kai...

4.5/5 Stars

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

No summary will be given. Its too hard to explain. Just read it.

Review: The following phrase sums up the entire book pretty well: God damn it, Joffery.
The ending was the most perfect ending to a book that have ever read. This book was beautifully written, and absolutely fantastic.

5/5 Stars








The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

There is a disease thats going around America and 98% of children die from it. The other 2% of the children get powers, and in order to maintain these kids they go to "camps." 

Review: This book was the single best book i have ever read! From start to finish it was action packed, and unpredictable. The world building was amazing, and Alexandra Bracken really just gave off a certain vibe while reading this book that kept be intrigued. She also did a great job developing the characters, so by the end I really liked Zu, Ruby, Chubs, and Liam. She also made me despise Clancy. I cannot find fault with this book because it was so well-written. I cannot even put me feelings about this book into words. Just take my advise, and BUY THIS BOOK!!!

5/5 Stars

World War Z by Max Brooks

Post-zombie war. Lots of interviews.

Review:This book was absolute trash. There were no characters that you could like because you know a character for a few pages, and then they are gone never to be heard from again. A lot of the people were really whiney, and uninteresting.Some of the characters were no horrible that they didn't deserve to live through the was. Will any of you remember that annoying guy that spent his life on his computer? well, he lived. The worst part of this entire book was the ending! They did kill a lot of zombies, but it said that they were not done, and that they may never completely eradicate the zombies. When you spend 300 pages on killing zombies, you would hope that after all that work that the people did and all the death, there wouldn't be any more zombies. But, no, (plot twist) there are still more zombies. 
1/5 Stars

Control by Lydia Kang
A story set in 2150 this is about the human genetic “mistakes” that society wants to forget, and the way that outcasts can turn out to be heroes.
Review: This book was really interesting all the way through. I thought it was fantastic that the author started off with action from the first chapter which made it really hard to put the book down. I thought Zenia was annoying a lot of the time, but I also understood most of her motives. My biggest problem with her was how gullible she was; whenever Micah said anything even when she knew who she was working for, she always followed him. The romance was sweet, and never too much. Also, there was no insta-love, and it felt more natural. The science-y element of this book was pretty cool. It seemed like it could be somewhat realistic, but never too much to the point where you couldn't follow what they were taking about. This was a really good debut, and I hope things get cleared up in the sequel.
4/5 Stars

172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

A horror novel. Half set on Earth while the other half is on the Moon.

Review: That was the most terrifyingly brilliant book I have ever read...so far.

5/5 Star

 Harry Potter: The Prequel by J.K. Rowling

800 word prequel about Sirius Black and James Potter.

Review: That was a nice little story. It would be cool to see more of James and Sirius, but whatever.

3/5 Stars


 The Archived by Victoria Schwab

In a world where the dead rest on shelves like books, the Keepers are the ones that bring the dead back when they wake up. The main character just moved into a very active place, and she is in for the time of her life.

Review: After the first hundred pages, this story really started to pick up, and at that point you understood the world, so nothing was missed. The world was really intriguing, and I haven't ever heard of anything like it. Mac was never annoying, and always badass. Her romance with Wes was sweet, but never sickening. I always had a bad feeling about Owen's relationship with her. This was a pretty good book, and I am planning on picking up the sequel soon.

4/5 Stars
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

This is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. And it picks up immediately after it.

Review: I really liked how this book took off with action right away. All the peculiars' personality intensified from what you knew from the first book. It was nice to see how every peculiars' abilities were put to some good use even if it was used unconventionally. This book never had a dull moment. My only problem is that I don't know when he will get around to publishing the next book. :(

5/5 Stars






After that giant amount of reviews, I am done with this section. Most of the reviews were okay in this one, so that good. Anyway, look out for the next part of this series, it should be coming to you soon!

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment