Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review of Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger
Standalone Classic
214 Pages
Age Range: 14+
Gade Level: 9th
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

This is the story of what happened to a 16 year old boy around Christmas after he gets kicked out and leaves his prep school. Its his story of growing up, and deciding who he wants to be.









The Short:
To sum up my feelings about this book in three words: I loved it. This is one of the best books I have ever read, and I was so entertained by Holden, and his mentality. So good.

The Good:

  • Like I said before, Holden was absolutely hilarious. Whenever he said that he was doing something, "like a bastard" I died laughing. His overall outlook on things is very negative, and I really found it entertaining. Also, I think I am Holden Caulfield, so I can't really say anything bad about him without insulting myself too. And honestly, that would be pretty phony of me.
  • The book was so fast. It literally took place over like two or three days, but it felt like it was a month. I loved it.
  • I'm just going to be vain for a second, and say that I LOVED HOLDEN'S HAT!
  • I just loved the direction that the story moved in. It was really what I wanted to happen, and honestly for Holden's development as a character and as a person, it needed to take that direction. 
  • All the symbols, and themes, and metaphors, and all the other literally devices really killed me. 


The Bad:

  • That ending really killed me. It wasn't satisfying enough for me. He is happy, then boom its over. And he mentions that stuff went down, but he doesn't explain, and I'm like "BB Plz gimme moar."
  • Phoebe was so annoying. I just couldn't handle when she was around, and I just thought her overall demeanor, while she was somewhat close to Holden, was annoying. 


The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle

_____________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: Not for readers who get offended by foul language. His language is about as vulgar as you would expect any teenage boy to speak.
The Sex: A lot of talk of sex. Prostitution happens. Lots of sexual innuendoes, and situations.
The Violence: This book was not violent like at all. Maybe one or two fights, and that is it.
The Drugs: Casual underaged drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment