Sunday, November 9, 2014

Review of The Fourth Wall by Elizabeth Maria Naranjo

The Fourth Wall
by Elizabeth Maria Naranjo
Standalone :(
256 Pages
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7th
Publisher: WiDo Publishing

Marin is not happy with her life, but luckily she has the ability to lucid dread. She can tolerate her absent dad, sick little brother, and deceased mom because she knows that when she falls asleep, her pain is gone, and she can live in her perfect fantasy world. That is until the monsters return to her dreamscape, and she is forced to confront her real problems.






The Short:
I was very interested in reading this book since lucid dreaming has always interested me. This did not disappoint. I loved the chapters where you would go inside of Marin's dreams and see and experience what she saw. The characters were not that great, but the were enjoyable enough. This was pretty good, quick read, but not like the best book ever.

The Good:

  • The lucid dreams were fascination. I loved seeing exactly what Marin thought of, and the extent to her creativity. Her dreams were like the most personal thing ever, and it really showed her need for stability that she was not getting in her life.
  • I loved group. They all accepted each other, and they did not try to compare their problems to each other since they knew that one pain is not any worse than another. It was just a group of people who would make each other feel comfortable enough to share their deepest problems with each other not in the hopes of the problems being validated.
  • I loved the writing in this book. From like the first few pages I was like, wow she knows how to string words together, and make it sound good. I was very impressed.


The Bad:

  • The characters were good, don't get me wrong, but I never connected with any of them. Like I felt sympathy, but I could never care that much about them.
  •  There was kind of an open ending. Like stuff happened then it was over. There was no aftermath. I have no idea how anything worked out after the "final resolution", and that is why I am hoping for a sequel or at least a novella. Like please give me a novella. That would be much appreciated. 
  • Also, the ending was pretty predictable. I knew what was going to happen at the end from like the first few pages, and I was glad that I was correct, but still. 


The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

__________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: Like not bad at all. They said "damn" and "goddamn" a few time, but thats it.
The Violence: Like none. Not even a factor in this book.
The Drugs: No. Maybe one reference to beer, and thats it. 
The Sex: Kissing. Like twice. And a teen pregnancy.
__________________________________________________________________________
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a truthful one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment