Saturday, November 1, 2014

Review of In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken

In the Afterlight
by Alexandra Bracken
Third and final book in The Darkest Minds Trilogy
535 Pages
Age Range: 14+
Grade Level: 9th
Publisher: Hyperion

Since this is the final book in the trilogy, I will not be putting up a summary, but you should read the trilogy; it is probably the best trilogy I have ever read.









I don't think I can sum up my thoughts in my normal style of reviewing, so I am going to be writing a letter of sorts to this book and this trilogy.

Dear In the Afterlight,

Thank you. Thank you of being great. Thank you for being grand. Thank you for existing. I don't think I have ever wanted to reach out and hug an author for writing a book, but this trilogy and this book changed that for me.

From The Darkest Minds,  I have been in love with you. I forced all of my friends to read you, and they all loved you as much as I did. Then came Never Fade, it was just as good and as satisfying as the first book, and I read it, all 500 or so pages of it, in two days. I have never loved the first two books in a series as much as I have loved those two books.

Then I had to wait a year to read you. I was truly stricken with how I would cope with the separation from some of the best characters ever. I read many other books, and many other series, but it was never the same as you. Needless to say, I was not having a good time without the gang.

Then after much waiting and an embarrassing amount of anticipation (much of it came from obsessively checking Alexandra Bracken's Tumblr page), you finally came out. I put down everything I was reading and had to work on for school, and read you. You may have taken a little longer to read, but I loved you. I loved your every page, sentence, and word. I truly am amazed at the caliber that your series was written, and again I thank you for existing.

Your characters are love. I don't know if I would be who I am today is I hadn't stumbled upon your older siblings in a bookstore.

Ruby is one of the best and most badass protagonists I have ever read, and everyday I strive to be like her.

Zu is adorable. I love her and I love her character arc from the oldest of your siblings, to your cousin (In Time), to you. Zu is literally the cutest character to ever be written. Thank you for making her happy. She truly deserved it.

Liam is the best boyfriends anyone could have. If I could find someone even half as kind, loyal, selfless, and strong as he is, I would be set for life. I don't think I can ever say enough good things about him.

Chubs is the best friend that anyone could have. He is caring beyond belief, and when looking for a friend, I just want to find his qualities. I am just glad that everyone appreciates him.

Vida. I don't even know where to start with her. She is hilarious, and badass beyond where that word can take you, and she is beyond anything else kind. She truly cares about her friends to the point where she would risk everything to save them.

Even the side characters who in any other book would be irrelevant, were necessary. The story would have been bland and typical if the side characters were not developed as well as you developed them.

Your deaths were terrible on my soul. They are ones that will stay with me forever. I know they are difficult to handle now, but I can see that they were necessary. I would not have loved you as much if no one died because books can't be all puppies and rainbows where everything works out perfectly. I understand that and I respect your decision on which characters had to die.

Your story was wonderful. I knew you would be great, but I didn't know to what extent. It was magnificent to see the big picture, and the way everything panned out was mind-blowing and tragic, but it was a necessary end that tied you and your siblings together in a way that I never would have imagined.

To be completely frank, you were perfect. I love you. I will love you tomorrow. I will love you in a week. I will love you in fifty year, and I will love you forever.

XOXO,
Belle

_______________________________________________________________________

All the typical review stuff that you need to know, but would not be appropriate in my letter:

Rating:


Content:
Language: This book used so much curse words. If you have a problem with vulgarities, this is not a series you will want to pick up.
Sex: There is a good amount of sex in this book. Nothing is described, but you know it is there.
Violence: Again, there is a ton of violence, so if you're sensitive, find another series.

No comments:

Post a Comment