Thursday, November 27, 2014

Review of The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

The Infinite Sea
by Rick Yancey
Book 2 in The 5th Wave Trilogy
300 Pages
Age Range: 14+
Grade Level: 9th Grade
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile


This is the second book, and like always, I will be giving no real description. But if you have read and enjoyed the first book, you need to read this one.








The Short:
I was very disappointed with this. I loved The 5th Wave. When I say I love it, I gave it 5 stars, but this book just didn't live up. It was boring, and there was too much backstory and not enough actual story. It was like the author was trying to fit as much fluff as possible into his book. I was really surprised that it was all fluff since the book is about 150 pages shorter then the first book. I don't know what went wrong, but there was a huge disconnect between book one and this book. I am definitely going to be finishing the series because I only have one book left, and the second is most of the time the weakest book, and that was definitely the case with this book. I am really saddened my this book because of how much love I have for The 5th Wave, but whatever. I am still eagerly awaiting the last book.

The Good:

  • I love the characters. Same as in the first book, but you really got to know more of them. They are all very well developed, and I'm glad that I got the backstory of them, and it really made them seem like they had a life before the aliens came down. 
  • It was not a completely linear book. One of my favorite movie directors is very good at making nonlinear movies, and they are great. I really liked how Rick Yancey did that, but made the whole thing intertwined.
The Bad:
  • I was getting to the point where I wanted to slap Rick Yancey. He used the exact same imagery every other page, and it really angered me. It wasn't like he used a lot of ocean imagery, oh no. It was him using the same ocean imagery over and over and over and over. It was good the first time then he kept using it, and I got annoyed.
  • All of the perspectives talked the same. They all had the same thought process and had the same cadence when thinking, and it just kind of irked me. I wanted each person to have a distinguishable way of thinking, and that was just not given. 
  • This book was split into two books. The first was about 200 pages, and it all took place in the same location. Absolutely nothing actually happened. It was just complaining and incessant fighting. Then the next 50 pages were a different persecutive, but nothing happened. Then the last 50 pages were very good. 
  • Like I just mentioned, nothing happened in the plot department. I was so unhappy because I just wanted to know what happened next, but the next real event was 50 pages away, and I was getting wearily reading it. 
  • WAY TOO MUCH BACKSTORY!! About 40% of the book was taken up by the backstory and previous happenings of the characters.
  • Sometimes his descriptions were not very good. He would describe something important, but then he wouldn't fully say what happened, so you are forced to make inferences. I just want to know for sure if I am right; I am pretty sure that I made the correct guess, but I don't actually know for sure. 
The Rating:



XOXO,
Belle

______________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: Not for you if you are sensitive to strong language.
The Violence: Do not read if sensitive to vividly described violence
The Sex: Possible sex. A good amount of kissing. Nothing vividly described.
The Drugs: Alcoholism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment