by John Steinbeck
Age Range: 14+
Grade Level: 9th Grade
This is the story of two men who are traveling around looking for work. One is the small, smart George while the other is big, dumb Lennie. They rely on each other, but they can never always be there.
I feel like I should have liked this book more than I did. i don't know what it was about this book, but I don't think it was for me. I can definitely see why people love this book, but I just cant relate. I didn't hate the book, but there were too many things that I didn't like about it.
- I liked the foreshadowing, and there was a lot of foreshadowing. Someone spoiled me about the ending to this book, so I could see all the hits that Steinbeck dropped leading up to that event. I love when authors know the ending before the book is over, so you can see all the build up.
- The descriptions of everything were wonderful. Steinbeck was fantastic at imagery. You could really see where they were, and it did not take much to be able to picture the setting.
- Even though this book was 100 pages, you could rurally see the friendship. Everything that George did was to benefit Lennie, and all Lennie cared about was pleasing George. It was really adorable.
- I know that this was a really short book, so it was hard to develop everything, but I didn't really care about the characters. It may just be me because I am a heartless monster, but I just never got to the point where I liked the characters enough to want to know what happened to them. I liked George enough, but he was just kind of underdeveloped.
- Most of the side characters were terrible. I'm saying that they were bad people. They are more heartless than I am, and i guess it was somewhat characteristic of the time period, but still.
The Language: This was a very vulgar book. They used the n-word a lot, and also many derogatory names for women.
The Sex: Mentions infidelity. Mentions a brothel.
The Violence: Talks of lynching. Mercy killing is a pretty common practice. Many animals die in this book.
The Drugs: Mentions alcohol a few times, but they are adults who can legally drink.
Other Triggers: Lots of racism and sexism.