Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review of Resist by Sarah Crossan

Resist
by Sarah Crossan
Second and final book in the Breathe Duology
368 Pages
Age Range: 13+
Grade Level: 8th Grade
Publisher: Greenwillow Books

This is a sequel, so I am not going to be terrible and spoil book one, but I will tell you that this picks up very soon after Breathe. By very soon I mean like a few days to a month after, I'm not really sure on the time frame.








The Short:
This was not how I thought the story was going to go after finishing Breathe. The way that Sequoia was described and thought about was very different from what it actually was, and that was good because it surprised me. But the story was rushed, I felt it was choppy and it should have been expanded 50 pages, so that the story could have been lived out in its fullest.

The Good:

  • I liked the characters in the preceding book, I still like the characters. They were good enough, but the difference between this book and Breathe is that in this book there was no love triangle.
  • I liked the introduction to Ronan's point of view. He was a necessary part of the story since he knew things that no one else did, and I found him and his family quite entertaining.
  • I really liked how surprising some aspects of the story were. I was imagining the story going one way, but then it went in a completely opposite direction. It was refreshing.
  • The story was not the best in these books (even though it was surprising at times), but I love the concept of this duology. This is the only environmental book I have ever read, and I loved the idea behind this. 
  • I love the covers of these books so much. I have seen some people saying that they are bad, but they perfectly represent the story, and they are beautiful. Honestly, the only reason I picked up Breathe was because I HAD to own the cover. 
The Bad:
  • I don't think it was that big of a deal, but there were a few obvious mistakes in the book, for example near the beginning a character meets another character for the first time and he used her name in his thoughts before anyone tells him the name. He immediately went back to referring to her as "the girl," but I'm just surprised that it wasn't caught during the publishing process.
  • Again I will say, the story seemed rushed. It was very choppy and each section of the book didn't really flow into the others. It was like one chapter was a good amount of time after the preceding one, and I just wanted this book to flow better.
  • I liked the characters, but I was never attached to them. When one of the very main characters died, I didn't care. I was just like "oh no thats the worst." Then I got over it. There was no huge emotional toll.
  • All the POVs sounded the same. I understand that it is really hard to create four distinct point of views, but it was just that good. I oftentimes got confused on who was narrating, so that was annoying.
The Rating: 

The Closing Thoughts:
This is not a great series, but it is a very fun one. I really adore the concept even though the plot was not great. When this book was not very action packed, the concept kept me reading because I wanted to know how it ended. I do recommend this if you want to read about the environment, and problems within the environment. 

XOXO,
Belle

______________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: I think it used the S-word a few times, but that was the worst of it.
The Sex: Sexual references, and kissing.
The Violence: This is the final book in a dystopian duology, there is the takedown of the government aspect, or course there is going to be violence.
The Drugs: They mention wine, pills and alcohol, but it is strictly used for medicinal purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment