Friday, November 7, 2014

Review of The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

The Start of Me and You
by Emery Lord
Standalone
Publishing Date: March 31, 2015
384 Pages
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7th Grade
Publisher: Bloomsbury

After her boyfriend's death, Paige's life hasn't been the same. She decides that she needs a plan to be able to get back to her old self. Page makes a list of five items that she finds obtainable, but life happens, and not all plans work out exactly how they are supposed to.





The Short:
I don't know what it was, but this book just didn't do it for me. I didn't feel for any of the characters, and to be quite frank, this was a slow book. I don't know what particular aspect of the book really put me off, and it could be a mixture of many elements, but this just seemed like a cliche contemporary book about a girl with major problems trying to get over said problems.

The Good:

  • I liked the music element in the book. It was not that big of a deal, but it was enough to where it was noteworthy. 
  • The friendship that was cultivated throughout this book was wonderful. I loved how it evolved from just the four girls to the girls plus a few people, and they really opened themselves up to other people. Also, the relationship that the girls had was magnificent. They were always there for each other, and they could never stay mad at the other people. 
The Bad:
  • The endings to most of the chapters were cringe-worthy. Like, the author would try to say something meaningful and deep, but it would always end up sounding corny and phony. Even the last line of the book made me want to gag. I'm sorry, Emery Lord, you seem like a pretty good writer, but I don't like how you word the endings whether that be the end of the book or the chapter.
  • The ending was pitiful. Like they [may or may not have] gotten together, and then it ended. You have no idea how anything went with the [possible] couple, and I just want to know how those people would act she they were actually together [well if they ever did get together that is].
  • The plot felt overused. I liked the "twist"on who the love interest was, but I just couldn't get passed how average the events were. It just seemed generic.
  • This book was too long. I don't really get why it needed to be about 400 pages. The whole book could have honestly been told in 300 pages. It was too slow to start, and didn't get at all interesting until page like 200.
The Rating:

This book was overall just disappointing. I was really looking forward to see how this book happened because it seemed like it could be good, but I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if I will ever be picking up the author's other book because I just didn't like this one at all.

XOXO,
Belle

____________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: There was very minimal bad language in this book. I can't even remember any of it if there even was any.
The Sex: None. Well, kissing, but I can't see how that could be a trigger to anyone
The Violence: No.

_____________________________________________________________________________
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a truthful one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment