Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Review of A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

A Clash of Kings
by George R.R. Martin
Book two in A Song of Ice and Fire
778 Pages
Age Range: 15+ (Mature Audiences Only)
Grade Level: 10th Grade




Winter has come.









The Short:
I don't even know what to say about this book. I have been reading it for seven months now, and I have finally finished it. I am pretty sure that about half way through the book, I lost all interest in reading it, so I put it down, and it took me until this month to actually want to read it again. I think that these books are very hard to read in large quantities because the words don't flow, and it it kind of choppy. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is just not a book that you would marathon. Additionally, this book was very slow compared to the first book, and that was another reason why it took me SOOO long to finish.

The Good:

  • I love the story of this series. It is really unique and overall very interesting to read, but I had already seen the TV show, so nothing was really surprising even though there were some fantastic scenes and details that was left out of the show. The story was very good, and it was fun to get a different perspective on the events and to get a lot more information than what was given in the TV series.
  • The characters all turned into scumbags. Okay. Not all of them, but a good amount of them really changed, and it was fantastic to see how the characters grew and developed from the previous book.
  • I have gotten to the point in the series where I am just starting to hate good characters, which is very good because it says that Martin really knows what he is doing, and can make characters that are so diverse that some people can love them and others can detest them. (I hate Khaleesi so much).
  • The way that these are written are great. When you read, the things that the characters say apply to other important characters, so you end up with so much information and so many sides of everything, and you have no idea who to root for (Stannis is my Mannis). 
  • Stannis. lots of Stannis.
The Bad:
  • I already said and explained this, so I am not going to go into much detail, but these books are hard to read large quantities of.
  • I lost interest about halfway through the book. It is not because it is bad, but instead because I felt like the story would take a huge amount of time to pick up, and I would rather read fast books. I have heard from many sources that the next book is the best in the released series, and that it is really fast, so I am excited to pick that one up sometime in the new year.
The Rating:

The Last Words:
I really wanted to give this book five stars, but it just didn't deserve it. If it was a five star worthy book, I wouldn't have lost interest in it, and I would have been captivated throughout the whole thing. I don't think that I can honestly give this book five stars, and keep saying that my reviews are completely honest, so in an attempt to keep you guys believing my reviews, I am giving this book four stars.

XOXO,
Belle

______________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: This book uses every bad word ever (except the n-word). 
The Sex: Lots and lots of sex. Described sex. Rape. Incest. Just everything.
The Violence: Lots of detailed accounts of violence. Murder. Lots of murder.
The Drugs: Lots of wine. Everyone drinks wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment