Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Year in Review: Part 5- Worst Twelve Books

It is great when you meet someone and they mutually love something, but can we all agree that it is better when you mutually hate something? That is what I am going to do in this post. I am going to shamelessly slander 12 [in my opinion] terrible books, and I am going to be ruthless.

I'm joking of course with being ruthless, but I am going to show you what books I hated, and tell you briefly why I hated them. These are in no real order because I am very lazy, and it is 2:00 am on New Years Day when I am making this. But maybe it is in some sort of order since I am just looking through the books I read, and trying to figure out what I hated next.

Also, when I was compiling this list, I realized how weird my rating system is. I dislike some books that I have given 3 stars a lot more than ones that I gave 2 stars. I do stand by my ratings since that make sense to me, but it is just odd.

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I am sorry if you love this book, but I could barely get through it. I thought it was dull, and that the characters were very flat. Also, I think that the author puts it in a high interest and highly obscure (at least to western society) setting in order to make the book seem eye-opening and kind of force people to like it. If this was set anywhere else, it probably wouldn't have been as acclaimed. This was the only book that I gave one star this year.

2. Black Crow White Lie by Candi Sary 

I am going to be frank here, this book was boring. It was less than 200 pages, but took me ages (meaning like 5 hours) to read since it was so unreadable. The characters were not very well made, and overall they were bland. It was a very convenient book, and I didn't respect the main character even a little bit. Also, WHO WOULD LET A 13 YEAR OLD BOY BUY A PLANE TICKET ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND GO BY HIMSELF?!

3. The Awakening by Kate Chopin 

This was feminist literature, and I am in no way a feminist. I had such a hard time with this book since it was trying to get me to respect and like a character who was cheating on her husband. That is not okay. I am going to say that this book couldn't end fast enough.

4. How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster 

I feel like the author was both giving really good information and being a troll. He literally (okay, figuratively) spoiled every book/movie/play ever. He would just go on long tangent about how something happened in a really specific scene in a book that I have never heard of nor would I want to read. It was okay with info, but it could have been summarized with a paragraph for each chapter.

5. Matched by Ally Condie 

This book couldn't have been more cliche. It was literally every stereotype about YA into one book. It had angst, a poorly done romance, an unoriginal setting and storyline. It just had everything. I have the rest of the series, but I haven't bothered to read the rest of them, I may get to it eventually.

6. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare 

This was so hyped for all of my life, and it was the most talked about romance ever, but it was just dumb. Shakespeare is good with words, I'll give him that, but the story was unoriginal. Everything could have been avoided if they could have communicated. If Juliet was like "yo. I'm gonna die, but I'm not really gonna be dead, so then we can be together," it would have been fine, and happy ending. And the characters I felt absolutely no attachment for. Just NO. 

7. Once Upon a Roadtrip by Angela N. Blount

I'm going to be very short on this one: it was too religious for my heretic self. It was an okay story, but religion is annoying to read about for me.


8. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo 

I don't know what happened with this book. Book one was solid, and this was just not good at all. It did introduce a cool new character, but it was boring and nothing happened at all. 

9. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi 

This, like Matched, was just really cliche. and there was a scene in it that made me want to stop reading it, but I pushed through, and it pretty much sucked.

10. The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan

I just thought that this book had no value. The cover is gorgeous, and I like the voodoo aspect, but it was just so angsty and cliche. It had no meaning between the lines, and it just was not good for me.

11. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

You know, this is only on this list because I thought that the story was boring. It was not a very bad book, and the subtext is magnificent, but on surface level this is so dull. 

12. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
I really didn't hate this book all that much, but it  was just disappointing. I really thought it was going to be very good, but it was sad because the characters were made to be overly relatable, and that just angered me. It wasn't that this was a bad book, it was that it was not what I hoped it was going to be, and that is why it is on this list. :/

Do you hate any of these books? Do you love them? What are your most hated books of 2014?

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment