Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A Year in Review: Part 6- Best Twelve Books

Now that you have seen the terrible books that I read this year, I am going to be a lot more positive, and show you my top 12 books that I read this year. I really love all of these books (and most of them got 5 stars from me), and I hope that you check these books out yourself. Again, these are in no particular order because I am waaaay too lazy to put them into an order that I would be happy with.


1. This Song Will Save Your Life by Lelia Sales

I loved this book not for the story, but instead for the music elements that were very apparent in it. I loved when they would reference a song and I would be like "I KNOW THAT SONG!!" The songs were not pop or anything too popular nowadays, and I got attached to the characters because we had similar music tastes. The characters were great though. I really liked the main girl, and I really did not understand why people didn't like her at her school because she seemed SO COOL! 

2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

This was one of my favorites because I am Holden Caulfield. It was great reading a story about someone who is me, and I could really understand what Holden was dealing with and I just wanted to hug him. I really liked this demeanor, and I found him highly entertaining. I bought Franny and Zooey by the same author, and I hope I love it just as much.

3. Me Being Me Is Exactly as Insane as You Being You by Todd Hasak-Lowy

This book was just overall unique to me. The story was very cool, but the book was written in lists! I don't even know how he did that and effectively told the story, but I truly did understand what was going on in the book, and it was magnificent. It was funny, and whitty, and really true to how life is.  A lot of books try to romanticize books to make life seem beautiful, but this book told you how it really is and I appreciate that. This comes out in late March, and I think you should check it out. 

4. In the Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken

My favorite series of all time is over. I am very sad about that, but it couldn't go on forever. I loved this conclusion. Yes, it was kind of melancholy, but I really like it once it got going. Alexandra Bracken really brought back some of the classic rock references and the road trip aspect, and I really appreciated it. I loved how full circle it went, and I am going to be honest, I cried throughout the book. I was bawling on about page 70, and I couldn't stop crying until the book was over. If you haven't checked out the series yet, I really think it would be wise of you to do so.

5. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

This is a book that I read for my 9th grade literature class (thanks Schultz) for an independent reading assignment. Going into it I wasn't sure how long it was just that the teacher loved it, but it was 607 pages (WHAAT!?). I was very annoyed with that number because being me, I left myself very little time to read it (sorry, A Game of Thrones stole all my attention). Luckily, it was a book that was very fast to read, and I finished it in a matter of days. I really loved reading it, and it was weird, and it was deep, and I bought more Murakami because of it....

6. More Than This by Patrick Ness

I was amazed just totally in awe by this book. I don't even know how Patrick Ness came up with the concept of this book, but I am glad that he did. It was intriguing at its worst, and awe-inspiring at its best. This one really blew my mind, and I still don't know what really happened. And that ending.

7. The Dust Lands Trilogy by Moira Young

You all know me, so you know that I had to cheat somewhere, so this is where I am cheating. I read this whole series this year, so I am counting the whole trilogy as one thing. I read the first two books in a  day each, and the last one took me a few days, but I loved every second of it. I know that I am going to be rereading this series a hell of a lot because it was magnificent. I am blown away by the story and character arcs that took place in this trilogy. The writing style is weird since it shows the lack of education that the people have, and they do that by talking in dialect and not using any quotation marks. I love it though. 

8. 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

Don't go to space. If you have the option to go to space, don't do it. This book made me never want to step foot into space. Damn this book was creepy. I was not downright scared, but it creeped me out so much. The first half of the book is completely your conspiracy theories, and the second half is just screaming. 

9. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd

I'm pretty sure this was my first comic book/ graphic novel every, but it was great. Yes, some of the characters looked the same, but that didn't matter since the story is too good. I saw the movie adaptation of this a while before I read the book, so I knew that I would love the story, but it was great seeing the story play out in a different medium. 

10. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

This was just a very high quality zombie book. It was not really scary, but there was enough violence to satisfy me, and to where I was not irritated by the romance. Can we talk about how unrealistic and corny the romance is (Love makes you human again. k. thanks just k.). Beyond that, I really liked this book, at the time I gave it 5 stars, and I think it deserves that. Also, there may be a second book, so I'm fucking excited. 

11. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

This was the happiest book that I have ever cried in. Yes, I am a baby; I cry in so many books. But this was so happy, and I don't get why I cried, but I had to. I thought that this was going to be a very corny romance, but it was so much more than that. It was about family, fitting in, and knowing when to hold onto things and when to let go. 

12. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

This is the book that everyone was waiting for on this list. GAME OF THRONES!Yes, of course this would be on the list. It was my first taste of my undying love of the series and the show. This was such a good way to start out the series and end off this list.

Books are fun when they are good books. :)

What were your favorite books of 2014? Do you love these books too? Do you hate them?

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment