Sunday, January 4, 2015

Review of Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

Better off Friends
by Elizabeth Eulberg
Standalone
276 Pages
Age Range: 12+
Grade Level: 7th Grade
Publisher: Point

From the first day they met, Levi and Macallan have been best friends. They have only been friends, and are happy with a completely platonic relationship. Yes, many awkward situations have arisen since people automatically assume that they're dating. That hasn't really been a problem until their relationship gets in the way with their boyfriends and girlfriends. Can they really stay just friends forever?






The Short: 
You know, I went into this expecting absolutely nothing. I was like I gotta read something, and this looked small and easy to read. I was completely correct about all my assumptions about this book. It took me about four hours to read, and it was very average. Not a bad book even a little bit, but its not like it blew me away or surprised me at all. I have to gee the author points for creating such a well developed friendship between Macallen and Levi. Their relationship and their banter really made this book a lot better than it would have been without it.

The Good:

  • The author did a fantastic job of pacing the book. It was under 300 pages, but it spanned a period of six years. She only did a few chapters for some of the years while she made the important years take up 50 or so pages. Claps for that.
  • As I already stated, the friendship was magnificent. It was like insta-love, but friendship, so it was legal and beautiful. 
  • The banter was the best part of the bevel. It was whitty, and well timed. It was not always well placed since sometimes they just needed to talk to each other, but joked around instead. Overall it was VERY well done.
  • The family aspect was wonderful. Not many YA books incorporate family very much, but this book was all about family, and that made me happy.
The Bad:
  • There were a very good amount of mistakes in the book with grammar or misplaced punctuation. It didn't really take away from the story, but it just kind of turned me off from the book sometimes. 
  • To be honest, I didn't really care about the characters. They were very well developed, and they seemed real, but there was not enough about the characters that made me ever give them sympathy. I think it was that a lot of their problems that they dealed with were kind of petty, and easily solved, but they chose to be illogical about them. It just annoyed me to no end. 
The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

____________________________________________________________________________
The Content:
The Language: They never said one curse word throughout the whole book.
The Sex: Kissing. Minor cheating.
The Drugs: No.
The Violence: A few well timed/placed punches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment