Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Review of A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1

A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1
by George R.R. Martin, Daniel Abraham, and Tommy Patterson
Comics 1-6
240 Pages
Age Range: 16+ (MATURE audiences only)
Grade Level: 10th Grade
Publisher: Bantam


The graphic novels are simply an adaptation of the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series. I think, there are going to be 6 volumes of this book, but only three are currently released.










The Short:
This was just another way that I could fall in love with this series. There was a lot more backstory and histories than I noticed when I read the actual book that this was adapting. I had a very good time reading this book, and I'm very glad that I did end up picking it up.

The Good:

  • I really liked how each of the characters were depicted. They were very different from how the TV show characters looked, and they were more true to the descriptions that were given in the original books. I really appreciated how the artist did that.
  • The authors did a very good job adapting the story, and knowing what to take away without losing the details. The pictures made it so there could be less words, and more of a scenic view of the story that I am already very familiar with. 
  • The pacing of the story was commendable. They could have rushed it and taken out huge passages, or they could have made it so long that EVERYTHING would have been covered, and it would have been like reading the full book all over again. I'm glad that the book was fairly short, and a lot easier to read than the original book.

The Bad:
  •  I didn't really have any true problems with this book, but instead I was kind of iffy on how everything was put together. There were not really any clear transitions, and I would have liked that. It was very easy to follow, but I don't think it would have worked out too well if someone hadn't watched the TV show or read the books. 
The Rating: 

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment