Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review of Glassford Girl Book 1 by Jay J. Falconer

Glassford Girl, Book 1
by Jay J. Falconer
Book 1 in the Emily Heart Time Jumper Series
182 Pages
Self Published

This is the story of Emily Heart who has the strange and terrible ability [or curse] to jump forward in time. That may sound well and good, but she can't control it. The story takes off with Emily and her  new friend being shot at in the streets of Phoenix. All she wants to do is be able to keep her and her friend alive, and that is a possibility, well, until she feels herself starting to jump forward.









The Short:
I don't have much to say about this book. It was good, not great, but worth reading. It was a very action packed read, and something that I would recommend if you just want a quick exciting read. This was not at all something special, but thats okay because I was captivated from the first page.

The Good:

  • It started well, and it kept that momentum going throughout the whole book. It was fast and action-packed, and a VERY easy read (not only because it was less than 200 pages). I am going to sound awful when I say this, but thats all this book had. It was just exciting. Nothing really beyond a good and fast plot.
  • Ummmm. For a self-published (or any book really) this was so high quality. The paperback was soft, and the pages were smooth. I really liked the physical book. Also, the cover is pretty. I am loving the orange.
The Bad:
  • The characters were just kind of there. I didn't really care for any of them in particular, but I didnt have anything against any of them. It was just kind of lacking in characterization.
  • There was one element of writing that the author used a lot, and every time it was used I got annoyed. Okay, bear with me here. He would say something like "Things to avoid: perverted men." Then a few paragraphs later he would say, "Things to avoid: perverted men, stray dogs." Then he would keep adding to it, and I just didn't like that element even a little bit. 
  • There was nothing special about the story. It was fast, but it was juts that: fast. It is not a life changing story, but instead one that will get anyone out of a reading slump since the first scene is a shoot out. 
  • The back of the book mentions love, but there is literally no relationship in this book. There is insta-love though. It wasn't developed at all, but Emily saw a guy and was immediately in love with him. It was SO ANNOYING!
  • I thought was a pretty choppy. Emily would be taking to someone then she would randomly zone out and dream about the past. I get why the author did this since he wanted to give backstory, but he could have done it in a much more effective way.
Final Thoughts:
Okay. I was really mean to this book. It wasn't that bad. I just didn't think it was that great. I don't think I would recommend it too often, but it was good enough for something I wanted to read in only a few hours. I am probably going to pick up the next book if it comes out in paperback, but until then I can easily hold off.

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

____________________________________________________________________________
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a truthful one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment