Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Review of Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt

Hold Me Like a Breath
by Tiffany Schmidt
Book 1 in the Once Upon a Crime Family Series
400 Pages
Release Date: May 19, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury

Penelope Landlow's life has always been difficult. From her rare disorder that makes her more susceptible to bruising and injury, and the fact that her family deals in illegally transplanting organs. Penelope's life has consisted of staying within the walls of their estate and being babied by everyone she encounters. Everything starts changing around her, and she needs to be able to adapt with it.






The Short:
Wow. Just wow. I thought this book was great. I have never read a book where the family is so illegal. Usually in the books I read, the people's lives are "hard" because they are teenagers, and teenagers always have hard lives. Penelope actually has it rough though. She has the actual problem of her family dealing in blood, and she actually cant be touched unless she wants to have bruising. I think my favorite part of this book were the subtle fairy tale references. They were so well weaved in and it just made me smile. This is a very good book, and one I think you should all lookout for.

The Good:

  • I literally just said this, but the casual fairy tale references made me very happy. They would compare something that went on to Repunzel or a moat, and I just was like "I see what you did there, and I really appreciate it." 
  • This was supposed to be a retelling of The Princess and the Pea, and I could kind of see where the author was going with it, and I am really glad she didnt take it too far. I liked the elements of the story that she threw in, but she didnt make every little detail from the original story in this book. 
  • Can we just talk about how wonderful the concept of this book is. Crime Families. What?! What YA author writes about it, and does it so well. Nice job, Tiffany Schmidt.
  • Could this book have been any more action packed? I don't think it would at all be possible to make it any more epic. All the death, violence, and unlawfulness just tied together to make a book that I read in two days. JUST SO GOOD! If you are planning on reading this book, just know that you will not be able to put this book down.
  • The romance was one of the best ones that I have seen in a YA novel. It was unexpected, and fresh. It was angsty, but it was real problems not the average stuff you see in YA.
The Bad:
  • I really did get that Penelope was fragile, but if they said it one more time in that book, I think I was going to scream.
  • All the "plot twists" were visible from a mile away. I wish there was a little more development and buildup to a plot twist that would actually surprise me.
The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

______________________________________________________________________
I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a honest one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment