Friday, February 13, 2015

Review of Invaded by Melissa Landers

Invaded
by Melissa Landers
Book 2 in the Alienated Series
356 Pages
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion















The Short:
To be honest, I had no expectations for this book. I liked Alienated enough (I gave it 4 stars), and I knew I was going to want to read the sequel, but it wasn't like i couldn't wait for this book, or I was dying to know what happened since it was just not a favorite of mine. That begin said, I was kinda meh on this book. It wasn't a bad book at all, but it just wasn't anything special, nor was it better than Alienated. I wouldn't say that I am disappointed, but this book seemed to have a bad case of the "second book syndrome."

The Long:
When comparing this book to all the other alien books/movies/TV shows I've ever seen/read, this book and this series really falls short. Its just very average or a read. I think that the author could spend a lot more time on the action, and less time with Aelyx and Cara whining about their love life. There really wasn't an abundance of action until the last 50-or-so pages of the book. I think that there could be a lot more action in the next book (please be a next book), but this book was just very mundane.

Now that I have ranted about how there wasn't enough action, lets talk about the action in this book. There wasnt enough of it first off, and secondly it would be broken up at the worst times. Sometimes something suspenseful would happen when Cara wasn't whining about Aelyx, then the chapter would end right when stuff got interesting. That happened over and over and over. I understand why the author chose to do that since she didnt want you to become bored, and when the action is halted, and you jump to the other point of view, you are more likely to keep reading. What we did get of the action was very good, and I really think that the author can step up the action in the third book.

If you didnt know, this book is told from two point of views, Cara's and Aelyx's. I always enjoyed the Cara chapters more since they were more about discovery and there was overall much more action on her side. Aelyx chapters were just fine. For every one good chapter, there would be two or three okay ones. I just wanted more interest in his POV.

This is one of the only YA books that had a actually good brother/sister relationship in it. The way that Cara and Troy acted around each other was very funny. The author really did a good job of showing the connection that only a brother and a sister could have. Their relationship could have been pushed to the side, but Melissa Landers did a very good job of making it important.

Thank you, Melissa, for adding a villain to this story. The first book didnt really have one, so it did a very good job of setting up for the next book's action. They are very good villains too, I have to say. They are not the kind of villains that are out in the open, but more of in-the-shadows kind of villains.

Can we just talk about how two of the side characters had one of the worst cases of insta-love I have seen. It wasn't the main characters, so that was good, but insta-love in general seems pointless to me.

The main problem that I had with this book was the pacing. It was paced okay, but you never really knew how much time had passed between chapters. I just wanted to be able to make a time frame in my mind, but it would have been impossible.

The Rating:




Have you read this book? I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Also, what do you think about this reviewing style? I am thinking about doing something like this for either all reviews (probably not. I like using a direct reviewing style) or reviews of sequels, so I can minimize spoilers.

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment