Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review of Purgatorio by Dante

Purgatorio
by Dante
Book 2 in the Divine Comedy



Dante and Virgil move on from Hell and explore purgatory.














I don't know why, but for some reason I got it in my head that I wanted to read more Dante. I didn't like The Inferno that much, but I felt the need to keep reading because I thought that Purgatory would be at least somewhat interesting. I was wrong. Dead wrong. I thought this was kind of pointless. I get that the idea of heaven and hell; it makes sense to me. It you're good, you go to heaven. If you're bad, you go to hell. What is the point of purgatory though. If you're bad, but you are still good, you go to purgatory? If you're a good person, but does bad things, you go to purgatory? I just cant grasp the concept of needing a place like purgatory, and that is where my problem with this book came in.

I was pretty excited about this book for the first seven or so cantos, but then it just got really repetitive. It was the same thing over and over again: goes to a level of purgatory, sees people being punished, people freak out because he's live, talks to people, moves on. And thats it. Sometimes the talking to people lasts more than one canto, and I was just so bored.

I think I read this book in like two days, but I was just so done by the time Dante went to the Earthly Paradise that I just read the notes at the front of each chapter giving a description in modern English about what the canto would be about, and what would happen. I only did that for the last three cantos because I was getting so annoyed with reading it, but didnt want to give up on the book entirely.

There is a 100% chance that I am going to read The Paradiso sometime in the somewhat near future. I don't know what possessed me to feel the need to read all three books, but I guess I'm determined, and at this point it is a pride thing, so I have to finish the last book.

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment