Monday, March 2, 2015

February 2015 Wrap Up

I know that February felt like it was only a few days long, but somehow I successfully read twelve books. At the start of the month, I was about five books behind on my reading goal of 100 books, but as of right now I am on track. I resolved to read ten books this month, and I quote, "I am almost 100% positive that I am not going to obtain that goal." You can see that I have a lot of faith in myself. Obviously, I did complete this goal, and I am incredibly happy with my reading this month. 


A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
This book killed me. So far in A Song of Ice and Fire, this is definitely my favorite. When reading this one, I was pretty sure I was going to give it a four star rating, but then I got to the epilogue, and it blew my mind. I don't think I have ever had a book end as well as this one. I am still reeling from this book, and I think in the next season of the TV show, you will understand what I am talking about.
5/5 Stars

This book was wildly entertaining. It was action packed from the first page (the first scene was a gun fight, WHAT!?), and it stayed action packed until the end of the book. I am not going to say that this was a great book, or even a good one for that matter, but it was such a quick and easy read. If you were really determined, you could read this book in a few hours, and there would be no regret. I liked the random time jumps throughout the book, and unfortunately it ended on a cliff-hanger. I don't know when the next book will be released in paperback, but I am definitely going to check it out when it does. 
3/5 Stars

This was an epic quest with Arthurian Legends. It was a very fun book to read, and I am super glad that I could review this book. It is a middle grade novel, so if you are a fan of middle grade, I would highly recommend picking this book up. The best part of this book were the illustrations that accompanied things that were particularly difficult to imagine. The ending of this book was pretty ambiguous, so when the next book comes out in paperback (like Glassford Girl) I am definitely going to be picking it up.
4/5 Stars

I received this book for review from the publisher, and I am immensely glad that I did since this book was great. I LOVED the crime aspect to it since the main character is part of a very affluent crime family. The other great part of this book is that it was a loose retelling of The Princess and the Pea; it took me a few minutes after I finished the book to realize how it was a retelling, but it was just so clever how the author chose to incorporate the fairy tale. 
Release Date: May 19, 2015
4/5 Stars

Ever since this series started, I have been preordering the books for my birthday, and I am very glad that I got it because this series is awesome. It took a very different turn from the first book, and I am stoked that it did because its just a very well done alien novel. The romance is VERY well done in this book, and I cant wait for the third book.
3/5 Stars

I've really tried to be positive in this post, but for this book I can't do it. I hated reading this book. The premise was awesome, and it could have been a really great book, but the way that this book was written gave off a vibe of borden rather than suspense. For a thriller, I was very uninterested in the plot of the book. I really wish I would have not finished this book, but being me I had to read until the last page. The only reason that I did not give it one star was because there were nine pages that were awesome. Those 9 nine pages saved this book from a one star rating. I am on the fence about bringing it down to a one star because it gave an open ending rather than a definitive one.
Release Date: May 19, 2015
2/5 Stars

I went into this book with no expectations. I especially did not expect to love this book. From the start of this book I was either crying or on the verge of tears. I just loved the message that this book gave off, and even though it was one of the saddest books I've read this year, it was also one of the most hopeful. Despite all my sadness and grief from this story, I felt changed by it. I know that sounds incredibly cliche, but its true. This is a kids book, so it is both very short and very easy to read. It will take you maybe an hour to read, so I would say get this book if you can. 
5/5 Stars

Why did I decide for ear this book? I have no idea why I thought it would be fun to read Dante. I liked Inferno much more than I liked this book because there was at least some interest in that book. This was kind of the in-between book between good and bad. I don't actually see a point of having a purgatory, so I didn't like this book since it seemed pointless to me. I am pretty sure that I am going to eventually read Paradiso, but I could not even begin to guess when.
1/5 Stars

Salinger is becoming one of my favorite authors ever. I don't usually like reading about religion because it bores me, but it was done incredibly well in this book. It was more so questioning religion than actually being part of it, which I greatly appreciated. I really liked this book, as I said in my review, it was not at all close to The Catcher in the Rye, but I didnt expect it to be. These two stories were beautiful, and I want to read a lot more about Salinger's fictional Glass family. 
4/5 Stars

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
This was the second Shakespeare play that I have read, and I thought this was miles better than Romeo and Juliet. I really liked Hamlet as a character because he was sarcastic, funny, and spent much of his time messing with people. I don't know if this was that great of a play, but it was good enough for me, and I had a good enough time for a book I had to read for school.
4/5 Stars

I liked this book enough, and thought it was well done. The author did a very good job making it different from The Fault in Our Stars, and I appreciated that. I liked the dual POVs and the dual time periods. The relationship in this book seemed very toxic to me, and I would have rather had much less of it. I think I could recommend this book to people because it was very entertaining (especially the "then" chapters).
4/5 Stars

This was the first nonfiction book that I read this year, and I think it was a great place to start. It read like a fiction book and by that I mean actually interesting. I had fun getting to know Maya as a person, and I truly hope that she writes more books in the future. 
4/5 Stars


As I was making this post I realized that I gave at least one of each star rating this month. I'm pretty happy about that to be honest because it meanest that I ambling very critical about my ratings. 

Have you read any of these books? What did you read this month? Tell me in the comments, so we can chat.


XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment