Friday, March 27, 2015

Pre-Blog Goodreads Reviews Part VI: Historical Fiction

The moment you have all been waiting for is here. This is the final installment of my Pre-Blog Goodreads Review Series. None of you thought that we would get here, but after a long time break between season 1 and 2, we are finally wrapping up the series.

I don't really read historical fiction, so this is going to be a very short post. But these reviews should be funny if nothing else.

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

After the suicide of her mother, Gemma Doyle must move from India to attend a boarding school in England in order to become a "proper" lady.

Review: Overall, I enjoyed the story and premise of the book. I liked the spin on the cliche boarding school book that was written. The realms were pretty interesting to read about, and it was interesting to see that something so pure could so deeply corrupt someone. The characters in the story were all so badly broken in so many ways that you had to feel for them. The friendships seemed to progress naturally, and Gemma was always true to her friends which was a nice quality for a character to have. I felt the the person who is Mary Dowd was pretty obvious and predictable, but I though Circe was Hester. Again, Libba Bray created a divine historical world that felt both realistic and fantastical. This was a very high quality read, and I would recommend it.

4/5 Stars 



The Revolution of Sabine by Beth Levine Ain

In 1776 Paris, a feisty teenager defies her mother, her closest friend, and the aristocracy that rules her life in a compelling romantic novel of social intrigue.

Review: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author did a very good job bringing each and every character to life, while immersing you in 18th century France. I did feel like the ending was a bit convenient, and that was the reason the book lost a star. Overall, this book was well-paced, and it never felt like the author put in "fluff" to make the book look better and longer. I think this book was a very fun, and uplifting read, and I am glad I found it.

4/5 Stars




 Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

Second book in the time traveling Ruby Red trilogy.

Review: I enjoyed reading this book, and it was fun, but it seemed to be lacking in many areas. First of all, not much happened plot-wise; the story seemed to be in the same place as when the first book ended. Secondly, Gwen was SO annoying. All she seemed to do was cry about Gideon and complain about her situation and get jealous of Charlotte. Lastly, Gwen and Gideon's relationship was just bad. They kissed and then fought for the whole story.
I did enjoy Xemerius' character a lot because he was funny. Lesley has always been a great character for her optimism, and loyalty towards Gwen. I liked Raphael; he was cool. Gwen's training sessions with PuffyLips and Charlotte were always entertaining.
Overall, this book was just kinda meh. I will be continuing the series, but i don't expect that much for the third book.3/5 Stars


Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

Final book in the  Ruby Red Trilogy

Review: This was a pretty good ending to a very average trilogy. I thought the ending was pretty convenient. I was glad that Gwen wasn't annoying in this book, but instead Charlotte was. I'm glad I finished out this series, but it definitely isn't one of my favorites.

4/5 Stars








This was a pretty fun series to make, but now I'm done. I will never be posting these reviews again (for good reason), so drink your fill because these awful reviews will never just pop up anywhere else unless someone is to copy and paste them, but my that point it is plagiarism. 

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment