Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review of Dear Killer by Katherine Ewell

Dear Killer
by Katherine Ewell
Standalone
359 Pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books

Kit takes her role as London’s notorious “Perfect Killer” seriously. The letters and cash that come to her via a secret mailbox are not a game; choosing who to kill is not an impulse decision. Every letter she receives begins with “Dear Killer,” and every time Kit murders, she leaves a letter with the dead body. Her moral nihilism and thus her murders are a way of life—the only way of life she has ever known.
But when a letter appears in the mailbox that will have the power to topple Kit’s convictions as perfectly as she commits her murders, she must make a decision: follow the only rules she has ever known, or challenge Rule One, and go from there.



I really wanted to like this book. I went into it knowing that it would be the book for me, but it just seemed to fall flat. I'm one of those people who are very interested in sociopaths, and since the main character is a sociopath, I thought this was going to be great. I'm so sad to say that I was wrong. There was one main thing that made it hard to like this book. 

First off, I had a problem with Kit's character development. A sociopath does not have a conscience. It doesn't matter what they do, they don't feel remorse because they are physically incapable of it. Kit started off as a relentless murderer, and I was entertained by that. I had absolutely no problem reading about someone who killed people; I don't scare easy. At some point in the book, I cant remember exactly where, Kit began to change. It reminded me of the change between seasons 4 and 5 of Dexter when the writers changed. It was like night and day. Good and bad. Wrong and right. She just suddenly got a conscience after years of killing. Why then? If she wasn't a sociopath to begin with, I don't think moral nihilism would be enough to get her through each murder. When her mom noticed the change, she told Kit something that seemed completely wrong, and would never even make sense to someone as smart as Kit. Ugh. The "development" in this book just didn't work out for me.

I really did like the action in this book. It was very well done if a bit eccentric. I appreciated the author's effort in making the action imaginable. It was not too much detail to where it was overwhelming, but it was also not a lack of detail where you were left on the side of the road with nothing to help you. As morbid as it sounds, I really liked the scenes where she killed people. Her idiosyncrasies and habits were fascinating. If the author would have done a little more research on sociopaths, I would have liked this book a lot just because of the action.

What I really appreciated about this book is that there was no romance. A romance would never have made sense for this book. Kit didn't really have the time or capability to be in a romantic relationship, and I am glad that none was added because it would have just felt forced. Some of the interactions did feel somewhat forced, but it was not that often, so it was easy to get over. 

I'm not going to say much else, but I just want to point out that the ending was stupid. No serial killer would have done that. Bye.

The Rating:

Have you read this book? I would love to hear what you thought about it.

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment