Monday, March 23, 2015

Review of Glass by Ellen Hopkins

Glass
by Ellen Hopkins
Book 2 in the Crank Trilogy
681 Pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books

Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. And once it's got hold of you, this monster will never let you go.
The sequel to Crank, this is the continuing story of Kristina and her descent back to hell. Told in verse, it's a harrowing and disturbing look at addiction and the damage that it inflicts.






I don't know how to talk about this series. I liked this book a lot more than I liked the first one, but I just don't like this series. I know that it is really important that I finish the series eventually, but it is not fun to read. I wouldn't say that this book hits hard because it doesn't. I don't suffer from addiction, and neither do any of my friends or family, so this is one of the only times I am exposed to addiction. I can tell you this, however: I am not going to be trying meth. No thank you, friends. 

I think my real problem with this book is that I don't understand Kristina. I get she's going insane (addiction, multiple personality disorder, etc.), but I just cant understand her. I don't know what it feels like to need something so badly that you would give up your life for it. I get her curiosity with having wanted to try meth, but I don't get why she keeps coming back to it when she knows that she is ruining her life.

Kristina can not take care of herself, much less a child. She can't form a healthy relationship. She really took a turn for the worst in this book. She was bad in Crank, but Kristina in this book was painful to watch. I am honestly scared to see how she is in Fallout. I have to know though. I need to know how she acts as a longtime user.

This book is hard to talk about. It's not that this is a sad book, but just one of those chilling books. It didn't really affect me that deeply, but it was something that hurt me a little bit. 

I don't know if there are books better than these about suffering from addiction because I tend to shy away from this topic, but I think that if you want a book about the horrors of addiction, Crank  is a good place to start. These books are written in verse, so they are very easy to get through (if you can stomach reading about addiction for long periods of time). I'm going to say that I would recommend this series, but they will disturb you, and hopefully turn you off of using meth.

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment