Sunday, March 29, 2015

Review of If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay
by Gayle Forman
Book 1 in If I Stay Duology
259 Pages
Publisher: Speak

On a day that started like any other, Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.







I went into this book with absolutely no expectations, for I have heard tons of mixed things about this story. I was just kind of underwhelmed by it to be honest. It was not like this was a bad book, it was a very quick read, but I just didn't find it very interesting. 

I think I read this book in three sittings, and I'm glad that it didn't take very long to read because I don't know if I could have handled much more or this book. It wasn't even that I didn't like it; this was just a pretty slow read. Okay, now I've contradicted myself. Let me rephrase. It was very easy to read and the pages flew by, but I didn't think that anything really happened in the plot. I was just kind of reading it for the sake of reading.

I didn't get at all attached to the characters, so I honestly couldn't have cared lede what decision Mia made. She was very contradictory to what she was saying, and I don't really understand any of the reasoning behind her decision at the end of the book. 

I was never moved to tears by this book I was never super happy while reading it. It was just kind of meh.

The thing that really annoyed me about this book was the flashbacks. You got no real warning or context about the flashbacks, they just kind of happened. I didn't really think that all of the flashbacks were very necessary because they brought on no emotion, and they didn't make me sympathize for any of the characters.

Overall, this book was only okay. I will probably at some point pick up the next book, but until I see it for a bargain price, there is no way I'm going to buy it. I think I'm going to finish this duology only so I can say that I finished a series. :/

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment