Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Review of The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Crime
by Marie Rutkoski
Book 2 in The Winner's Trilogy
416 Pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux

I feel bad not giving a synopsis, but SPOILERS. I will, however, give you the first line of the synopsis that was given by the publisher.

Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.








I didn't really have any expectations for this book since the first book left off on a note that the author could take in a million different ways. I am glad the plot thickened a good amount, and it laid out great setup for the last book, but I really don't think that this book needed to be 400+ pages.

This was not an awful book by any means, but it was not a great book either. It was just very average, and if I'm being completely honest, thats all you can ask for in second books of trilogies. Because riddle me this, what book trilogy (other than The Darkest Minds) has an impeccable second book? They are so few and far between that you really cant have high expectations for second books. 

Okay, now into this book. It was pretty dry for most of it. Too much sitting around as compared to the first book. I did enjoy the political intrigue even though we didnt get too much of it. There was just so much of Kestrel/Arin whining about their situations.

Please excuse this interruption: I have to say this right now because everything just changed as I was writing this review. I have been saying "Krestel" throughout the entire two books, and as I was trying to get the name to not have the squiggly red line under it, I found out it was actually "Kestrel." Whatever. I am still calling her Krestel.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program: If the two main characters would have put their pride/ego aside for one time in the book, everything would have turned out okay, but instead they had to "protect" each other and they ended up fighting. I guess that is pretty common in YA, but I was just so annoyed.

No spoliers, but that ending was crazy. I really liked the last thirty or so pages because shit actually started to happen. I read the last few pages and I was like "THANKS FOR THE MAJOR CLIFFHANGER (*salutes* "Major Cliffhanger"). ITS' NOT LIKE I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR OR ANYTHING. But I guess it keeps people invested in the story, but I honestly cannot wait for the last book. I'm hoping it will be the best in the series. What I'm angry about is that the first two books The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime both have five-letter words that start with C. The last book is called The Winner's Kiss. Not only does kiss start with a K, its only four letters. I am going to have to break my rule about not buying books that have the word "kiss" in the title. 

Overall, this was a pretty average book, and I will not be recommending it until I have finished the series since I want to know if it is worth my recommendation.

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment