Sunday, April 26, 2015

Review of Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen

Alias Hook
by Lisa Jensen
Standalone
368 Pages
Paperback Release Date: May 5, 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Meet Captain James Benjamin Hook, a witty, educated Restoration-era privateer cursed to play villain to a pack of malicious little boys in a pointless war that never ends. But everything changes when Stella Parrish, a forbidden grown woman, dreams her way to the Neverland in defiance of Pan's rules. From the glamour of the Fairy Revels, to the secret ceremonies of the First Tribes, to the mysterious underwater temple beneath the Mermaid Lagoon, the magical forces of the Neverland open up for Stella as they never have for Hook. And in the pirate captain himself, she begins to see someone far more complex than the storybook villain.



I don't know why, but I had very high hopes for this book. There wasn't really a rational reason for me to have such high expectations for this book. The Goodreads rating wasn't that good, and i hadn't heard anything about this book other than that. Sadly, this book couldn't live up to the hype that I gave it. I was so excited for this book because of the pirate element of it. It is no secret that I adore pirates, but this book was a poor representation of them.

I was expecting a great story filled to the brim with a mariner's wonderland, but that was not even close to what I got. This book was boring, and I skimmed everything after about page 100, and that is saying something since I don't skim books. I didn't see a point to most of this book. It was just Hook being angsty (something that I expected him to have grown out of by age 45), and complaining about him miserable life. Well, boo hoo, Hook.

I really did not like Hook as a character. As I just said, he was whiny and immature. Also, he met one grown female, and all of a sudden his whole world changed. I can appreciate a good romance, but this one just didn't make any sense to me. It went from Hook and Stella talking as pals to them taking their clothes off. whAT?! WHAT!! There was no real development in their romance. It was like Hook saw a girl for the first time in 200 years and he stops caring for anything else. I cant begin to fathom a scenario where someone would give up their entire life's work for someone they just met.

Back to the plot of the story. Yeah, there wasn't any. This book should have been half the length it actually was. It was all just fluff. AND NOT EVEN INTERESTING FLUFF!! Just pointless. The best parts of this book in my opinion were the flashbacks, but after about 100 pages, they just disappeared. I really liked the flashbacks, but they were too long, and broke up the flow of the book. I really wish the author would have broken the flashbacks up into smaller sections and thrown them throughout the entire book rather than just in the beginning.

I am just so disappointed about this book. It was supposed to be SO GOOD! Pirates in an amazing setting is all I ask for in a book, but this was just so poorly done. I feel like this book was really a missed opportunity. I am really trying my best, but I cant find any redeeming qualities about it. Oh well.

The Rating:

XOXO,
Belle



______________________________________________________________________________

I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and honestly it would be more difficult to make a dishonest review than a truthful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment