Saturday, May 9, 2015

Review of Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost
bu Vera Brosgol
Standalone
221 Pages
Publisher: First Second

Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.
Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.
Or so she thinks.



First off, this book was a beauty. I loved the art so much. It was very stylized, and it was extremely easy to read. The art was perfect for the story. What I loved most about the art was the color scheme. The colors in a graphic novel are what really set the mood for the piece, and the dull cool colors really set an ominous tone to this book.

This was also an extremely quick read for over 200 pages. I think this book took me maybe thirty minutes to read, if even that. I really appreciated that this was not a long drawn out story, and that the author did exactly what she wanted in such a short amount of time.

I just want to put out there that this book had one of the mod  kickass beginnings of any book I've ever read. Who the fuck decided that this story would take off after falling in a well? Whoever thought that deserves a trophy for the amazing place to really kick start the eeriness.

My main problem with this graphic novel was that you didn't really get anything beyond the ghost situation. I get that the ghost was a huge part of the story, but the synopsis promised more than just ghost. I was hoping for a little more about who Anya is, and why she was so embarrassed about everything. We got little snippets of her embarrassment of her family, low self esteem, and problems fitting in, but I just wanted more of that. Having more backstory would really have improved this book.

The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment