Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review of Anything Could Happen by Will Walton

Anything Could Happen
by Will Walton
Standalone
288 Pages
Publisher: Push


When you’re in love with the wrong person for the right reasons, anything could happen.

Tretch lives in a very small town where everybody's in everybody else's business. Which makes it hard for him to be in love with his straight best friend. For his part, Matt is completely oblivious to the way Tretch feels – and Tretch can’t tell whether that makes it better or worse.

The problem with living a lie is that the lie can slowly become your life. For Tretch, the problem isn’t just with Matt. His family has no idea who he really is and what he’s really thinking. The girl at the local bookstore has no clue how off-base her crush on him is. And the guy at school who’s a thorn in Tretch’s side doesn’t realize how close to the truth he’s hitting.

Tretch has spent a lot of time dancing alone in his room, but now he’s got to step outside his comfort zone and into the wider world. Because like love, a true self can rarely be contained.

ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN is a poignant, hard-hitting exploration of love and friendship, a provocative debut that shows that sometimes we have to let things fall apart before we can make them whole again.
 



I really like going into books without any idea of what they’re about. I had a very vague idea of this book’s premise, and I was pretty excited to read it. It was extremely disappointing though. It takes a lot to be disappointed in a book that I had no real expectations about, but this book did it. Having said that, I read this book at the perfect time. It wasn’t my mood, but instead the fact that me reading this book coincided perfectly with the legalization of gay marriage in America.

Lets start things off with the very start of this book: the opening scene. It was in second person. I don’t ever read books in second person point-of-view, so I appreciated that so much. I always love the use of metafiction in books, and it makes the book just feel so much more post-modern and high class. It was not the scene itself that made me love the opening of the book, but instead that the narration technique.

My main problem with this book was that there was not very much development in the character department. For the main character, Tretch, all you really know was that he was scared to tell people about his sexuality, loved to read and dance, and was in love with his best friend. And that was it. For a main character you really need a ton of character background in order to have the readers create a real connection with him, and this character did not have enough characterization in order for me to develop any sort of emotional connection towards him.

The real issue that I had with the characterization was that it was almost entirely on the surface. I really wish that this book could have had some in depth characterization for a few characters rather than shallow character-creation for a ton of characters.

This could have been a pretty interesting book since the concept set up a pretty solid contemporary, but the plot just seemed to fall short. It was literally just Tretch third wheeling a lot. I got bored after about 70 pages, and had to push myself through it.

Something about me that is pretty good, I guess, is my music taste. This book’s choice in music references physically hurt me. I was cringing very hard at each mention of Taylor Swift or Ellie Goulding. If it was not the music references that the author chose to use, it was the way he used them. It was as if Ellie Goulding was the knight in shining armor of hip music. I was so confused because the narrator was proud of having a basic music taste. Yes, you’re not better or worse than someone else for liking pop music, but you can definitely not act better for liking pop. Ugh.

One thing I really liked about this book was that the family was actually present in the story. In much YA fiction, family is pushed to the side, and it’s kind of like the story is just a teenager living alone in the world –which is completely inaccurate. The relationship that Tretch had with his family was one that was very well done, and rare in young adult literature.


Overall, I did not really enjoy this book, but I can appreciate what it was trying to do.

The Rating:


XOXO,

Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment