Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Review of Survive the Night by Danielle Vega

Survive the Night
by Danielle Vega
Standalone
272 Pages
Publisher: Razorbill

We're all gonna die down here. . . .
 
Julie lies dead and disemboweled in a dank, black subway tunnel, red-eyed rats nibbling at her fingers. Her friends think she’s just off with some guy—no one could hear her getting torn apart over the sound of pulsing music.
 
In a tunnel nearby, Casey regrets coming to Survive the Night, the all-night underground rave in the New York City subway. Her best friend Shana talked her into it, even though Casey just got out of rehab. Alone and lost in the dark, creepy tunnels, Casey doesn’t think Survive the Night could get any worse . . .
               
. . . until she comes across Julie’s body, and the party turns deadly.
 
Desperate for help, Casey and her friends find themselves running through the putrid subway system, searching for a way out. But every manhole is sealed shut, and every noise echoes eerily in the dark, reminding them they’re not alone.
 
They’re being hunted.
               
Trapped underground with someone—or something—out to get them, Casey can’t help but listen to her friend’s terrified refrain: “We’re all gonna die down here. . . .” in this bone-chilling sophmore novel by the acclaimed author of The Merciless.






I swear, this author has no remorse in her writing. First, she wrote about torture, and now she writes on a mad dash out of an abandoned subway station. She is just such a good author. I feel like I would read anything that she writes. Anyway, I had no idea this was coming out until I stumbled upon it in Barnes and Noble. Then I bought it, said fuck my TBR list, and read it. It was a pretty good decision on my part.

This was in no way as good as The Merciless, but it was overall, a very well done book. I love the way Danielle Vega describes everything. She is so descriptive and gruesome. She leaves no details out for the sake of our stomachs, and I love it.

The characters in this book, however, were very similar to the ones in her first novel. I am not knocking it because I really like the characters that she chooses to write about, but I feel like she chooses a few normal character tropes and writes about them. In this book, the main character just got out of rehab for drug addiction, and Vega wrote her like I would suspect a recovering addict would act. She was real, in denial, and overall crazy, and I loved it. The thing about main characters in Danielle Vega books is that they are fucked up, but you don't see to what extent until the very end of the book. I loved the "big reveal" in this book; its crazy.

While Casey is the obvious shining star in the novel, the other characters don't disappoint. They are all so fully crafted that I felt something, no matter how little, for every character. I really, really liked the Aya and Woody as characters and as people. I wish I could have someone like Woody in my life.

The one think that didn't really kill it in this book was the explanation. I found it to be too unrealistic, and it just didn't really do it for me. I know that a lot of people would definitely disagree with my assessment, but I was really let down by what was actually going on.

I really wish this book could have been a little bit more gross like The Merciless, but I overall was very satisfied with this read. I cant wait to get to the next Danielle Vega book, when it comes out at least.

The Rating:


XOXO,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment