Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Review of 750 Years in Paris by Vincent Mahé

750 Years in Paris
by Vincent Mahé
Nonfiction
120 Pages
Publisher: Nobrow Press

A literary graphic novel unlike anything else on the racks, 750 Years tells the story of our time, focusing on one single building in France as it sees its way through the upheavals of history. Beginning in the thirteenth century and making its way towards today, this historically accurate story is the eagerly anticipated debut from Vincent Mahé.







This was such a great restart into reading. Its been a bit before I've sat down and read a book in one sitting, but I did it with this one, and I have no regrets. It was magnificent. It brought three of my favorite things together: history, reading, and comic books. It was as if Mahé made this book perfectly for me.

The only thing about this book that was a bit off for me was that it was just pictures and dates. Yes, there was a little bit of a description of a bunch of the years, but you didnt get all of them, and I just wanted more. Since there was a lack of description as to what was going on in each of the drawings, if you didnt have a background in French history, you are kind of at a loss. Lucky for me, I took AP European history so I understood what was going on in each picture from the small description at the back of the book. 

I really liked how well spaced the years were. If Mahé would have done a drawing for each and every year, it would have become redundant, and if he did a set every 10 years, it would have been lacking information. But the way Mahé chose the years was incredibly tactful since it allowed for a good enough time to pass between years in order for things, but also he only chose years in which something happened. 

The art style of this graphic novel was perfect for the task at hand because it only showed the building, yet it allowed for some life to be in the pictures through the use of cats and people. 

Overall, this was a very well done graphic novel. I loved the concept, and I appreciate the amount of time and effort Mahé put into researching this in order to keep it historically accurate. I only wish we would have had more description of what was going on in each picture.

The Rating:

"You're a punk rock queen,"

Belle <3

No comments:

Post a Comment